Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

Default Faulty Motor Switch?

One of my recent "new" machines (acquired at the same time as the
Unisaw that was the subject of another thread several days ago, and
which made the trip home just fine, thankyouverymuch) is an
Invicta/Delta 22-650 (aka Rockwell RC-33) planer. 220V, 2HP, single
phase motor.

While making space for these machines and setting them up, I turned on
the planer for a few seconds, then flipped the switch to OFF. The
planer kept running. It took a few more flips of the switch before
the planer stopped. I repeated the process and had the same
experience. It didn't do this when I tried it out at its old
location, of course.

With the power disconnected I checked the switch terminals for
continuity. So far I haven't been able to duplicate the problem--that
is, to get continuity with the switch in the OFF position. (It's a
double-pole switch, and both pairs of terminals behave like they ought
to when probed with a meter.) Nothing looks or smells out of sorts
with the switch.

Unless someone suggests another possiblity, I'm going to assume that
the switch is faulty in some way that doesn't show up at low
voltage/current, and that it simply needs replacing. Anything else I
ought to check first?

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
chuck

Sounds like a bad switch. No matter what, you might consider replacing
it with a magnetic contactor type switch. $40 for a grizzly. The benefit
is if power is interrupted, the machine will not continue running when
power is restored, but will have to be started again.

Really nice for your Unisaw also, if it doesn't already have one.

Good luck.

Chuck

Chuck Taylor wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Chuck Taylor" wrote in message
news

One of my recent "new" machines (acquired at the same time as the
Unisaw that was the subject of another thread several days ago, and
which made the trip home just fine, thankyouverymuch) is an
Invicta/Delta 22-650 (aka Rockwell RC-33) planer. 220V, 2HP, single
phase motor.

Unless someone suggests another possiblity, I'm going to assume that
the switch is faulty in some way that doesn't show up at low
voltage/current, and that it simply needs replacing. Anything else I
ought to check first?

New switch. Probably just a case of dirty, if it checks out, but you really
don't care for about six bucks, do you? The planer's a great one, should
last for years. Don't bother to try and compare it to current offspring,
they just don't measure up in material and workmanship.

Oh yes, if your switch is on the box like mine, it's a place that can use
some compressed air once every so often. Damp dust can do what you
experienced. I've seen it in motors stored where it can get damp.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Chuck Taylor wrote:
[...]

It is probably ok.

Did you take the switch apart and look at it? If
you can, you should, and you should clean and
regrease it.

I had a similar thing happen to me and bought a
replacement double pole switch because I wasn't
sure I could depend on the switch to turn off. I
took it apart and carefully examined it and
nothing seemed wrong and it worked perfectly.
Finally, I figured out that a splinter or piece of
sawdust must have gotten into it and jambed it,
and it fell out or I wiped it out when cleaning
the switch and didn't see it. I've tried it many
times since and it snaps on and off perfectly, so
I think I can depend on it for another application.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Vince Heuring

In article , Chuck Taylor
wrote:

[...]

Replace it! It'll turn off just fine until you have some kind of
emergency that needs it shut off RIGHT NOW, and that's when the dammed
thing will stick in the ON position--with that loose shirt sleeve being
pulled inexorably into the planer. :-)

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

[...]

Food for thought . . I didn't follow the thread about the Unisaw, but sounds
like they are new to you, while still fairly aged. Try this test; turn the
planer on, then unplug it. Now do your continuity check and see if it opens
when you turn it off. I suspect switch arcing & welding the contacts shut,
which wouldn't show up in a test with no power at all. Just my $.25. Either
way, as others suggest, a new switch isn't that much.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:15:46 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

Food for thought . . I didn't follow the thread about the Unisaw, but sounds
like they are new to you, while still fairly aged.

That's right. The planer is eleven years old this month, according to
the nameplate, and I believe the Unisaw was built in 1987.

Try this test; turn the
planer on, then unplug it. Now do your continuity check and see if it opens
when you turn it off. I suspect switch arcing & welding the contacts shut,
which wouldn't show up in a test with no power at all. Just my $.25. Either
way, as others suggest, a new switch isn't that much.

I suspect the same. I may give that test a try for curiosity's sake,
but with all fingers pointing at the switch, I'm going to replace it
anyway.

Thanks to all for the replies.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:44:51 -0600, Chuck Taylor
wrote:

That's right. The planer is eleven years old this month, according to
the nameplate....

Make that 21 years old. Built in 1985.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank S.

I had the same thing happen with my Delta Jointer. the power would not
shut off. It was intermittent and the tech thought there was nothing
wrong with it. I should have called Delta, but went to a local repair
shop in Raleigh and got a replacement for abt $22

Chuck Taylor wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Vince Heuring" wrote in message
news:120220061633468709% Replace it! It'll turn off just fine until you
have some kind of
emergency that needs it shut off RIGHT NOW, and that's when the dammed
thing will stick in the ON position--with that loose shirt sleeve being
pulled inexorably into the planer. :-)

Disengaging the feed lever will take care of that.