Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default Black and Decker 12 v drill: Faulty battery charger

Hello all.

I have this electric drill which is approx. a couple of years old (so I
suppose we're dealing with Nicads).
The charger unit consists of a a plug-in transformer with a 4-diode bridge
(on a pcb) being located in the adapter. The markings on the transformer
a Output DC: 14.5 Volts, 220 Ma, 3.2 Va .
The transformer is faulty (open circuit primary winding/connections). I've
been unable to open the transformer housing (no screws, and a very tough
casing).
My question is: I would like to use an alternative transformer (cased
preferrably), to replace the faulty one. I understand that in order to
supply the 220 ma to the battery, the VA rating is important.
Can you suggest a suitable AC transformer? I know that such a transformer
without a load can give several more volts (12v = 15 v). Also, to keep to
approx. 220 ma, might a 12 v transformer with a higher VA do, or what else
might do?
I don't normally have problems with the "usual" transformers, but this is
somewhat different.

All info/advice will be highly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm a regular reader of this group, and know that this question is not
entirely off-topic.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvian -

The "VA" rating is crudely the Volts X Amps - so at 240 volts - 3.2 VA
at 14.5 volts comes out as 3.2/14.5 = 0.22 = 220 mA !

So you can buy a 14.5 V 3.2 VA transformer - or something of the same
voltage and maybe slightly higher VA rating will be fine. Have a look
at:

rswww.com

Either type in "transformer" in the search or try order-code search
201-8772

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

See how much a replacement is?
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/parts/list
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"John Weston" wrote in message
. ..
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE, in article kDPBf.61295$W4.25838
@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, says...

Hello all.

snip

I had a similar problem some time ago - the primary
appeared to be open-circuit. What has (probably) gone is
a thermal fuse in the transformer. I found this out
after trying the fix (1) below

1. I ditched the transformer and cut off its lead to the
charging base. I had a suitable NiCad charger, capable
-----------------------------------
of charging greater than 12v batteries, and replaced the
transformer with this. It worked better after I removed
the diode in the battery holder (the only component in
there), I believe this is only used to prevent the
charged battery discharging through the transformer's
secondary if the mains is turned off with the battery
still connected. Using the NiCad charger instead of the
simple transformer meant I didn't have this problem.

snip

Can you give me any details of that Nicad charger?
Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

It's £16.70 (incl. VAT and Delivery).

It's too much for what it is. I'd rather pay more for something better
(using the existing charger adapter), or try to find a suitable transformer
to replace the original one.

Sylvain.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"John Weston" wrote in message
. ..
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE, in article aRtCf.14422$mf2.2442
@newsfe6-win.ntli.net, says...

Can you give me any details of that Nicad charger?
Thanks in advance.

In true DIY style, it was a modified Vellman kit
http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=18700
Originally from Maplin but I can't see it on their site
today.

For other purposes, I had modified the circuit to give
12v and 14v output steps as well as the kit's
2.4,...,9.6v and replaced the jumpers with switches
mounted in a case. I also modified the timer chip wiring
to deliver the maximum current for a time to suit the
higher AH capacity of modern batteries, and made this an
external setting. I had also removed the discharger
feature, since it is of questionable value for batteries
as opposed to cells.

This was found to work fine with the B&D charger base.

It's not an "intelligent" controller, (e.g. delta-V)
since these only work with individual cells. It simply
sets a timer (1 or 14 hour, or modified as I did) for the
approximate constant charging current's output.

Needless to say, a replacement "simple" 3hr charger from
B&D is £15.99, but isn't as much fun, - or as highly
-----------------------

specified :-)

Thanks for the answer.
The Black & Decker charger is out of the question. It's pretty useless and
unreliable.
As for building something from scratch or modifying; my kit construction
days are over.
As a matter of interest (I hope), I bought my first kit (a simple valve
audio amplifier) from Lasky's first shop in the Harrow Road, London. Old man
Lasky himself was serving behind the counter.
I also bought some radio kits (transistor) from Henry's. I first went to
Henry's first shop, before it moved (the Marylebone flyover was being
built). And again, old man Henry himself was in attendance.
To save you asking, I'm 70 years "old".

Sylvain.

Sylvain.
see: http://www.blackanddeckerspares.com/
--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Thanks for the answer. The Black & Decker charger is out of the
question. It's pretty useless and unreliable. As for building something
from scratch or modifying; my kit construction days are over. As a
matter of interest (I hope), I bought my first kit (a simple valve
audio amplifier) from Lasky's first shop in the Harrow Road, London. Old
man Lasky himself was serving behind the counter. I also bought some
radio kits (transistor) from Henry's. I first went to Henry's first
shop, before it moved (the Marylebone flyover was being built). And
again, old man Henry himself was in attendance. To save you asking, I'm
70 years "old".

I've modified cheap drill chargers to constant current 14 hour charge
types. There's usually plenty of room inside them to do this and the
components required are cheap and simple.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.