Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Default This would be a gloat if I got longer pieces

A contractor just finished constructing a trellis from 2x12 Ipe at a
new building next to mine on my campus. The foreman gave me all of his
scraps, some of which are 3 to 4 foot long. I got several hundred
pounds of boards and am still coveting the two extra intact boards (8
and 10 feet long) that are at the site.
Now I know that there are limitations to the projects I can make from
these small pieces but it was an easy decision to take this stuff home
especially when the foreman told me it was heading for the dumpster.
I've scanned several archives (in ths group) about Ipe but I have not
seen any comments about making boxes (routed dovetail joints, for
example) with it. Has anybody used Ipe for small table top projects?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

I have a handfull of scraps from helping a colleague build his Ipe deck.

So far I have made a cross type stand for a paper towel holder and wall
mountings for small speakers. These speakers needed a 1/4in flange through
which to mount the speaker. I thought the strength of Ipe would be ideal.
These have been in place for two years or more. A bit of oil and they look
great.

This is not easy to work. Sanding is required and generates a lot of dust.
Do not try to nail or screw without drilling.

I wish I had more pieces. Sounds like a gloat to me.

Dave Paine.

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
A contractor just finished constructing a trellis from 2x12 Ipe at a
new building next to mine on my campus. The foreman gave me all of his
scraps, some of which are 3 to 4 foot long. I got several hundred
pounds of boards and am still coveting the two extra intact boards (8
and 10 feet long) that are at the site.
Now I know that there are limitations to the projects I can make from
these small pieces but it was an easy decision to take this stuff home
especially when the foreman told me it was heading for the dumpster.
I've scanned several archives (in ths group) about Ipe but I have not
seen any comments about making boxes (routed dovetail joints, for
example) with it. Has anybody used Ipe for small table top projects?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

marc rosen wrote:

A contractor just finished constructing a trellis from 2x12 Ipe at a
new building next to mine on my campus. The foreman gave me all of his
scraps, some of which are 3 to 4 foot long. I got several hundred
pounds of boards and am still coveting the two extra intact boards (8
and 10 feet long) that are at the site.
Now I know that there are limitations to the projects I can make from
these small pieces but it was an easy decision to take this stuff home
especially when the foreman told me it was heading for the dumpster.
I've scanned several archives (in ths group) about Ipe but I have not
seen any comments about making boxes (routed dovetail joints, for
example) with it. Has anybody used Ipe for small table top projects?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Marc

I've used it for trim on maple or doug fir pieces. Makes quite a contrast.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
A contractor just finished constructing a trellis from 2x12 Ipe at a
new building next to mine on my campus. The foreman gave me all of his
scraps, some of which are 3 to 4 foot long. I got several hundred
pounds of boards and am still coveting the two extra intact boards (8
and 10 feet long) that are at the site.
Now I know that there are limitations to the projects I can make from
these small pieces

Ipe is a great outdoor wood and summer will be here soon. How about some
small tables for the deck or patio? You can see a couple that I've made on
my web page. They are about 16" square. The 4' can make a small bench.
Planter stands?

Small table to go next to the grill? Everyone in the neighborhood would
probably like to have something like that.