Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Grizzly G0580 vs G0555

The G0555 is the one that gets all the mention, google archives barely
even mention the G0580. I'm trying to see if I understand all the
differences.

The stand: Both open, but the G0555's is closed front and back. I
presume it's a bit more sturdy.

The motor: 1 hp vs 3/4 hp. However the amp ratings are 10 vs 9 which
leads me to think the difference is not much.

Roller guides vs blocks. The google archives show people switching
out the rollers on the G0555 in favor of blocks. I'd like to use
smaller blades more often than resawing, so I prefer blocks.

The table dimensions are the same, but the G0580 tilts left 15
degrees, the G0555 10 degrees. I'm not sure what this indicates,
beefier trunions on the G0555?

The G0555 has 2 speeds, but I fail to see what the 1500 fpm speed is
for.

G0555 has a better fence.

Shipping weight 210 vs 163. Motor + stand + fence differences add up
to 47 lbs? They must share the same castings. right? Though the
riser blocks have different part numbers they look identical.

It kinda bugs me they want to charge me another 10 bucks to ship the
riser block separately, they can't fit it in the truck with the saw?

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Leuf" wrote in message
news
[...]

Seemes no one responded yet so I figure I will. I have some experience with
Griz in general but not with their bandsaws. based on the specs and
marketing info I'll comment.

Weight, in general, is a good thing in stationary tools. It equates to less
vibration and generally indicates a better built product. From the picture,
my guess is that much of the weight difference is in the stand.

Fence - In general I a big fan of better fences. I'm not sure how critical
that is in bandsaws because I don't own one yet. How much better is that
fence on the 555?

So, is all that we mentioned worth $100? I'm not sure. Both seem to be a
great price for what you get. Maybe go cheaper and invest in some good
blades or an after market fence?

Anyway - Once you decide and then get it up and running it would be great if
you could let us know your final comments.

Good luck