Posted to rec.woodworking
nobody

Default ceramic bench stones

A few years ago, at a woodworking show, I bought a set of ceramic
bench stones. I believe they are about 2 in. x 10 in. I found they
cut quite well and the extra fine stone I believe is around 8000 grit
which gives a pretty decent polish. The only problem with these
stones is they have never been really flat and experienced sharpeners
in this group will know how important this feature is, especially on
plane irons.

Well, the other day I decided what the hell. Why not flatten them
with new Duofast diamond stones. The diamond stone flatten them
quickly but it left them with a sort of mottled effect. In other
words, the initial glaze on the stones disappeared in places.

What I am wondering is exactly what this has done. I haven't really
used them much since this operation but they seem to be cutting OK. I
am just wondering about the experience others have had with ceramic
bench stones and if anyone else has flattened one with a diamond
stone?
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

As it is particle size which determines the amount of metal removed,
shouldn't notice much of a difference.

As to perfect flatness being critical for plane irons, I thought the reason
you moved them relative to the stone was to compensate and get the average.
Think of lapping the stone, only your iron is flattened instead of the
stone.

You didn't verify the diamond critically flat, did you?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:44:29 -0500, nobody opined:

The diamond stone flatten them
quickly but it left them with a sort of mottled effect. In other
words, the initial glaze on the stones disappeared in places.

You just ground off the glaze. The shiny spots probably don't cut as
quickly. That's good.

When I put my ceramic stones on my brand new diamond plate they knocked
all the rough off. The diamond was very aggressive out of the box. Now
it's almost slippery. Next time I'll use loose grit on some MDF.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net