Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
RogWin54

Default Radial Arm Saw not cutting well

I got an older radial arm saw from my father-in-law. He hasn't used
it much for some time. I tried cutting 2x4s with the blade he
recommended. It jammed the blade. I've tried cutting 1/4"
plywood, 1/2" molding, small pieces of wood, etc. It can not
cut through a whole piece of wood without stalling or jamming.

He told me I had to cut it in small increments but it takes all day to
get any thing done. I cut 1/4" depth at a time then lower the
blade and do it again just to get it to work.

I noticed the rotation of the blade seems to be slow but if I let it
sit a minute running it will start picking up speed and rotate much
faster. I suspect something is wrong with the electric motor. I've
aligned the blade several times so it is not the problem. Anyone
know what is wrong or do they really work this way? Beginning to
think I should have just bought a table saw. thanks.