Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt

Default twisted hand plane blade

I've got a no-name No7c plane that pretty much a complete rip off of
the stanley model. The plane itself is in very good shape and I'd like
to use it. The problem is that the blade is no longer flat. Its a bit
concave/twisted. I tried to put a replacement blade from Veritas on
it, but the new blade was so much thicker than the old one that the
depth adustment arm couldn't engage properly. Anybody know of an
online source that sells replacement blades that are standard
thickness? I tried stanely, but they're online site won't ship outside
the US (Canuck here). My local hardware store can get me a blade from
stanely, but its going to take months to get it. Its a 2 3/8 blade
BTW. I keep any eye on ebay, but frankly I'd just rather order a
replacement.

If anyone has and ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone has
any ideas about how to flatten the old blade, I'm all ears...

cheers
Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Matt wrote:
I tried to put a replacement blade from Veritas on
it, but the new blade was so much thicker than the old one that the
depth adustment arm couldn't engage properly. Anybody know of an
online source that sells replacement blades that are standard
thickness?

Hocktools has blades that are not so very much thicker (3/32") than the
original stanley blades:

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm#BP

And they work fine for me in (real stanley) old planes.

leevalley(veritas) has many plane blades:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

which ones did you try?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt

I tried the Veritas ones. They are slightly thinner than the Hock
blades.

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt

I tried these ones

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...17&cat=1,41182

the 2 3/8" model

Posted to rec.woodworking
jimg

I'm not sure why the veritas won't work. Seems like it should. Did
you adjust the frog back? Anyway, Highland hardware has stanley
replacement blades. Google Highland Hardware.

HTH

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

the 2 3/8" model

Matt, these are nice and thin at 5/64" thick: http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12943
Real easy to sharpen, and they hold the edge long too. Get the one made for Stanley. You should
return your blade to LV, wouldn't cost a $1.25 to send it.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

"OOPS"! Looks like they don't have one for Stanley in that size but I believe
it would work anyway to try the one made for Record planes. They used to
have them.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt

I'll take a look at there stuff, thanks. I've already exchanged the
Vertias blade for one of their 2" ones for my No 5. Great blade, very
impressed so far...

cheers,
Mat

Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt

Yup, the frog is far enough back. Hmm, but you do have me wondering if
the screws are too big that are in the frog. I'd better check that
out. Thanks for getting my brain moving.

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Enoch Root wrote:

leevalley(veritas) has many plane blades:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Crikey! That doesn't send me where it should when the cookie jar's been
cleaned out. So you all probably didn't see the search result.

er
--
email not valid