Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Default New computer desk (pics)

I finally finished it! I started this sucker back around Christmas and
have been anxious to get it done, mostly because my existing computer
desk was such a POS (ten-year-old Walmart special that SWMBO had from
her college days before we met). The top is 60" x 26". It's comprised
of three separate pieces, two base cabinets and a desktop which sits
aon top of them. I did it this way for easy mobility, and it
definitely worked. I moved it from my shop in the garage to the office
on the second floor all by myself.

The doors are inset and open 180 degrees to get out of the way of the
sliding shelves inside. The wider cabinet houses the printer on one
shelf and the scanner on another. The narrow cabinet houses the UPS,
an external hard drive, and lots of CDs and books. I designed the
desktop to include a long structural support which forms the top member
of the face frames for the cabinets. There's another along the back,
as well. Also, there's a keyboard tray connected directly to the
bottom side of the desktop.

I'll probably eventually make a hutch or build some wall-hung shelves
above it.

It makes the office look SO much better. The old one was much smaller,
and the keyboard, mouse, and printer had to sit on top of the desk,
taking up most of the little space that was there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcaron2...:computer+desk

The first pic is the old desk. I think I'll set it ablaze in the back
yard this weekend just because I hate it so much. Of course, it's all
glue and sawdust, so I doubt it would burn.

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Jeffries

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:47:48 -0800, Josh wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcaron2...:computer+desk

I'll be the first one to post then - nice work fella!!!

I'm going to have to make do with my MDF top sitting on crappy
chipboard cupboards for the next 6 months or so (new workshop is first,
then utility room overhaul then finally the office can be done).

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Josh wrote:
I finally finished it! I started this sucker back around Christmas
and have been anxious to get it done, mostly because my existing
computer desk was such a POS (ten-year-old Walmart special that SWMBO
had from her college days before we met).

Looks great, nice door fit. I trust the supervisor cat approved each
step before you proceeded?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Josh wrote:

It makes the office look SO much better. The old one was much smaller,
and the keyboard, mouse, and printer had to sit on top of the desk,
taking up most of the little space that was there.

Nicely done.

I also recently made a computer desk, but my priorities were a bit
different. Mine was designed to support 3 21" CRT monitors, while
knocking down for transportation without having to undo any fasteners.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 2 Feb 2006 21:47:48 -0800, "Josh" wrote:

Very nice work, Josh...
Good, clean lines show a lot of planning, with all the drawers, slides, etc....

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Thanks, everybody. SWMBO is very happy with it so I guess that's what
counts.

jc