Posted to rec.woodworking
ann archy

Default homebrew lathe motor advice...

to preface, i am a monkey-see-monkey-do electrical fiddler, so don't
know much of anything beyond which end of a soldering iron to avoid
touching...

just salvaged a -seemingly good- motor from our old asko washer, is it
a suitable basis for a homebuilt lathe of modest capability ? ? ?

if not, is it good for any other homebrew type of wooddestroying
machinery; in particular, a large-ish disc sander (10-12" dia) ? ? ?

lastly, if above motor is not suitable for a homebrew lathe, what
might be a salvage-source for suitable lathe motors ? ? ?

oh, particulars on nameplate a
Siemens
1BV5565-2BM (model number?)
711.30010/23 (?)
60/250W
220V 60Hz
12 microFarads (? had mu-looking characer and 'F')
Iso. K1B (not sure about the 1)

then one end of the nameplate had:
39/94 (presumably a location/date stamp or sumpin')

i have made a cursory search, but have not found info on the wiring
harness, as far as the functions of the 6-wire molex-looking
connnector...

any advice regarding this particular motor, and/or whatever
salvageable motors work, is appreciated...
thank you

eof

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"ann archy" wrote in message
news
just salvaged a -seemingly good- motor from our old asko washer, is it

a suitable basis for a homebuilt lathe of modest capability ? ? ?

Don't know about your motor but I'm using a 1/2 HP motor from an old washing
machine to run my old Craftsman 12 inch cast iron lathe with 8 in
sanding drum mounted on the out side of the head stock. I don't use the
lathe all that much, use the sanding drum mostly but it's been going for
about 15 years now and the motor was old when I put it on. RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

I used such a motor, with stepped pulleys to drive an 8" grinding wheel
for chisel sharpening. I would show a pic, but am too embarrased (and
don't know how). Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

I met a guy not too long ago who works on all types of improvised, home
built machines, including lathes and many wood and metal cutters. Would
be happy to look up his card and send you his information. The man is
a maniac but he knows his stuff!
Johnny Mac

ann archy wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:00:47 -0500, ann archy
wrote:

just salvaged a -seemingly good- motor from our old asko washer, is it
a suitable basis for a homebuilt lathe of modest capability ? ? ?

I doubt it - for two reasons. First of all it's probably a bit low on
power. Secondly, and more seriously, it's out of a washing machine. Here
in Europe such things are near-useless. They have bizarre internal
wiring to give the reversing and multi-speed capability needed by a
washing machine. This is a nightmare to try and rig up for general use
without the original controller. They also usually have very open cases
with lots of ventilation and no protection against dust or even fingers.
Bare windings (insulated wire, but no case) aren't uncommon around the
ends.

As I have no shortage at all of useful S/H motors, and as cheap lathes
are cheap and the motor is the cheapest part of all, then I just
wouldn't try too hard to make use of it.