Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

Default 3/4 pipe camps

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Posted to rec.woodworking

I shoulda got some two weeks ago when they also had bar clamps on sale.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:24:33 GMT, "Jimmy"
wrote:

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?
Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Andy wrote:

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?

The 1/4" _is_ the advantage.

Larger pipe is stiffer, so longer clamps stay straighter under pressure.
I'll bet the fatter pipe also provides more gripping area for the
movable end of the clamp.

So, I guess bigger and stiffer pipes are better. =8^0

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Connors

B a r r y wrote:
Andy wrote:

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?

The 1/4" _is_ the advantage.

Larger pipe is stiffer, so longer clamps stay straighter under pressure.
I'll bet the fatter pipe also provides more gripping area for the
movable end of the clamp.

Theres just no way anyone could, or should, put enough pressure on 1/2"
pipe to bend it.

So, I guess bigger and stiffer pipes are better. =8^0

The main advantage I see is the crank handle on the 3/4" is much better.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , Joseph Connors wrote:

Theres just no way anyone could, or should, put enough pressure on 1/2"
pipe to bend it.

Not in the sense of bending it *permanently*, no. But they *do* flex
noticeably under _normal_ clamping pressure, and 1/2" pipes flex more than
3/4" pipes do. This is a bad thing, because when the pipe flexes, the clamp
jaws are no longer parallel to one another.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

They seem to have modified them to look more like Rocklers, or they are
made in the same factory.

The one I just got is taller than the others and causes some alignment
issues if not used on the TOP of the work.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Connors

I never noticed it before. I don't use pipe clamps very often, but I see
your point. The flexure could pull the boards out of alignment.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Joseph Connors wrote:

Theres just no way anyone could, or should, put enough pressure on 1/2"
pipe to bend it.

Not in the sense of bending it *permanently*, no. But they *do* flex
noticeably under _normal_ clamping pressure, and 1/2" pipes flex more than
3/4" pipes do. This is a bad thing, because when the pipe flexes, the clamp
jaws are no longer parallel to one another.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Those with the gold, make the rules!
Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Joseph Connors wrote:
B a r r y wrote:

Andy wrote:

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?

The 1/4" _is_ the advantage.

Larger pipe is stiffer, so longer clamps stay straighter under
pressure. I'll bet the fatter pipe also provides more gripping area
for the movable end of the clamp.

Theres just no way anyone could, or should, put enough pressure on 1/2"
pipe to bend it.

I'm not sure I agree, depending on the set up.
But there is another reason for wanting a lack of
bending. On big glue-ups the pipe clamps may be
sitting on a surface--floor, table, or sawhorses
with supports 6-10 feet apart. The pipes can
contact the boards, hopefully with wax paper
between the board and the pipe. A straight pipe
is highly desirable. A 8 or 10 foot length of
1/2" pipes will likely end up with a bow, while a
3/4" pipes will remain straight even with some
rough use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Larger pipe is stiffer, so longer clamps stay straighter under pressure.
I'll bet the fatter pipe also provides more gripping area for the movable
end of the clamp.

I have some 6' aluminum bar clamps. They are certainly much less stiff than
1/2" steel pipe, but don't flex noticably under normal pressure.
So, I can't see it is much of an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:03:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy
quickly quoth:

wrote:

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?

None, they're too heavy and can easily apply too much force. I bought
3/4" clamps and now regret it. Wait for their half inchers to go on
sale, or better yet, wait for the Pittsburgh bar clamps to go back on
half price sale.

Caveat: Do NOT buy the Central Forge brand. Pittsburghs are lifetime
warrantied and are much better made.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. com...
Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

That is not per pair, that is $3.49 per each, two piece, clamp. just thought
I would clarify that!
The 1/2" clamps are plenty rigid for shorter pipe lengths. I have a dozen or
so three foot, 1/2" clamps. Personally I would not go over 4 feet in length
with 1/2" pipe clamps. I also have a few 3/4" clamps with pipe lengths in
the 5-6 foot range.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I don't get it. YOU control the force applied (and you can easily
apply too much force with the 1/2" size as well). Other than the
extra weight, I can't see why a 3/4" clamp wouldn't always be
superior.

Larry Jaques wrote:

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size?
Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?

None, they're too heavy and can easily apply too much force. I bought
3/4" clamps and now regret it. Wait for their half inchers to go on
sale, or better yet, wait for the Pittsburgh bar clamps to go back on
half price sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Jimmy wrote:
Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug. The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle where it was driven onto the screw.

Yep - I bought some, mostly because I've seen several posts on this ng
that say they're not too bad (As long as you get the "heavy duty"
kind). I haven't put them on pipes yet, but they look fine - no cracks
or visible defects. HF is what it is - cheap stuff direct from China -
don't expect the quality control of more expensive brands. However, as
long as you keep your receipt, they're good about taking back defective
stuff (IMO). So just be sure to check stuff out carefully before you
buy it, keep your receipt, and it is possible to save a lot of money if
it's just something you'll use occasionally. One thing I've heard here
(and experienced) is to avoid their sandpaper/abrasives, no matter how
cheap they are.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Andy wrote:
[...]

A little brazing rod might fix it, but it looks like punky potmetal.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Enoch Root wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

er

And you didn't take it back for a replacement?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Enoch Root wrote:

Jimmy wrote:
Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

It's been said on here again and again. Only buy the "heavy-duty"
"Pittsburgh" pipe clamps. Is that what you bought?

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:21:42 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

Jimmy wrote:
Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

I grabbed a couple, just because I was in the store getting something
else, and they don't have any problems that I can see. I haven't used
them yet, but I did take them out of the package and give them the
once over and they seem fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Enoch Root wrote:

Jimmy wrote:

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

It's been said on here again and again. Only buy the "heavy-duty"
"Pittsburgh" pipe clamps. Is that what you bought?

Yep. And that's what came on the short brown bus.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Jimmy wrote:
Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.

The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle
where it was driven onto the screw.

My first, and possibly last, HF experience.

This is not a common experience, you shouldn't be so quick to make it the
basis for your decision. Look how many DeWalt, PC, Milwaukee, etc. tools
get sent back because of some problem right out of the box. Stuff happens.
There's a lot of stuff to stay away from at Harbor Freight, as has been
stated here many times, but there is a lot of stuff that is perfectly
serviceable and saves quite a bit of money.

The clamps have a lifetime warranty - why not just send the defective clamp
back?

How many other ones did you buy at the same time, that came out of the box
just fine?

--

-Mike-