Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default Automatic Vacuum System

Building a system for a customer... They are working with a material that
is hazardous but not flammable. Most of the work I do is with steel,
aluminum or some other random metal. This customer's product is most
closely related to fiberglass. They are looking to provide suction at the
tool rather than the typical coolant I'm used to and want to do something a
bit more professional than a simple wet vac system. The goal is to keep the
fibers away from bearings, people and the general atmosphere. Anything you
folks know of like this? I immediately thought of the systems built into
table saws, etc. but they are a bit too robust and probably not adaptable
for what I sell. We would provide either a pneumatic or electrical signal
to cycle the suction.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote

Building a system for a customer... They are working with a material that
is hazardous but not flammable.

[snip]

If you are working with hazardous materials, you are going to need
professional assistance on dust collection, filtration and disposal. At a
minimum you are going to need reliable HEPA filters with sufficient makeup
air and vacuum to ensure the material particles have one, and only one place
to go, and that's into the collector system. Lead dust (which is fairly
heavy) requires 4000-8000 CMF with a makeup air hood (supplies clean air to
the work area) large enough to cover the entire work area, and probably a
combination of a vacuum table (downdraft) with an additional spot suction
nozzle or dust collector assembly around the bit (ShopBot has a pretty good
design, Morris Dovey has another).

Dust collection and disposal is going to be a multi-stage system with a
cyclone collector with a gated dump chute (should be a dual or even a triple
gate to allow disposal while running), particulate filters (baghouse) to
capture what the cyclone misses (along with it's attendent collection and
disposal system) and finally HEPA particulate filters to clean the exhaust
air from the collection system. If the material is indeed listed as a
hazardous material, you are going to have to check with the EPA (assuming US
laws apply) to determine the maximum allowable emissions, and you are going
to have to meet Federal, State and Local emissions regulations.

As a supplier, you are going to have to provide a great deal of
documentation and probably even a stack test (emissions measurement), unless
you're duplicating an already proven system. Lacking any further
information, I'm going to recommend you contact the envoronmental agencies
at your customer's locale to find out where to start, and to get a
recommendation on who might be available that they already know in the
industry that can provide the dust collection you need. You'll also need
someone to perform the emissions testing, and they can provide you with a
list of companies that have submitted information to them (but without any
recommendations).

If the stuff you're collecting is not considered hazardous, but rather an
irritant, you MAY consider doing it yourself, but I'd probably shy away from
that liability.

In either event, you will want the collection system to be running prior to
allowing any tooling to start, and continue running for a time after the
tooling has shut down (typically when the work area has been cleaned). You
might find starting the collection system when the operator sets up to run,
and shutting it down only at the end of the day. Again, if you're dealing
with a hazardous substance, you'll have to provide annual emissions
reporting to the EPA (again, assuming you're under the EPA's juristiction);
having an hour-meter integrated into the system will help you calculate the
annual emissions based on the stack test results (distilled to a one-hour
average) multiplied by the total hours run per year. Without GOOD records of
run time (and I'm thinking that automated records are pretty much the only
way to capture this data accurately), you have to assume the worst ...
365.25 days x 24 hours, or 8766 hours per year.

Your baghouse and HEPA filters will also need to be monitored (need to
maintain a minimum differential to ensure the filters are actually in place
and not breached, a maximum to ensure that the filters aren't blinded), and
you'll need some sort of filter cleaning mechanism (vibrators, air pulsers,
etc). Again, if the material is hazardous, you'll need to ensure that the
dust collected is properly handled.

If your customer is already dealing with all this, you have a good starting
point ... but unless you've worked in this area before, I'd be very hesitant
to jump in. The risks and liabilities are too great to have this as a
learning curve ... especially if this is indeed hazardous materials you're
dealing with.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Joe AutoDrill (in fqrBf.15782$mj3.11732@trndny06) said:

| Building a system for a customer... They are working with a
| material that is hazardous but not flammable. Most of the work I
| do is with steel, aluminum or some other random metal. This
| customer's product is most closely related to fiberglass. They are
| looking to provide suction at the tool rather than the typical
| coolant I'm used to and want to do something a bit more
| professional than a simple wet vac system. The goal is to keep the
| fibers away from bearings, people and the general atmosphere.
| Anything you folks know of like this?

[ With thanks to Rick M for the mention :-) ]

Joe...

I have a web page at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html
that may help to get the juices flowing. There's more info at
http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messag...tml?1135194980 that
provides still more solutions that you should find of interest.

And in the best Autodrill tradition, I'd be pleased to work with you
to develop a custom solution. :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

As a consulting engineer who worked in the air emissions and measurement
field for 25 years, I can promise you that you just got some excellent
advise for free. I hope you take it to heart.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

If the stuff you're collecting is not considered hazardous, but rather an
irritant, you MAY consider doing it yourself, but I'd probably shy away
from
that liability.

It is similar to fiberglass dust... Not really hazardous, but a real PITA
to deal with.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

I have a web page at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html
that may help to get the juices flowing. There's more info at
http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messag...tml?1135194980 that
provides still more solutions that you should find of interest.

I'm trying to avoid the sale and liability of the system myself and simply
want to send my customer to the right place... The bottom line is that you
and the previous poster had some very good information so I will forward the
information on to them to review as it all looks VERY good.

And in the best Autodrill tradition, I'd be pleased to work with you
to develop a custom solution. :-D

LOL. Yes indeed.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote

I'm trying to avoid the sale and liability of the system myself and simply
want to send my customer to the right place... The bottom line is that

you
and the previous poster had some very good information so I will forward

the
information on to them to review as it all looks VERY good.

In that case, you might want to go to http://www.airhand.com/

These are the folks that designed and installed the dust collection system
in the New Yankee Workshop. They certainly are capable of a turn-key system
and probably forgot more about dust collection than I ever learned.

Penn State Industries http://www.pennstateind.com may have a design group,
but they don't seem to indicate so on their web site. They may be dealing
components only and while they could advise on certain aspects, it doesn't
appear they're a design/build shop ... but don't let my opinion slow you
down from giving them a call.

I'm glad your not dealing with hazardous waste ... that's a real pain to
deal with compared to nuisance dust and debris. When I relocate my shopbot
(real soon, I hope) I'll be making a number of dust collection improvements
.... some of which I'm taking right from Morris' web site (thanks Morris!).

Good luck,

Rick