L M

Default New Central Vacuum System

I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

BoborAnn

I've had both Galaxy and Nutone there is no comparison the Galaxy vacuum
unit is great . However for the hoses and accessories I prefer Nutone
the Galaxy doesn't use a bag but the previous owner of the current house had
a dog and never had problems
with it
Bob
"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

Art Todesco

I put a Sears unit in about 30 years
ago. I don't even know if they still
have them. I chose not to use the Sears
plumbing because it was smaller
diameter than Nutone. I also installed
an AC outlet near each vacuum
inlet for use with a powered hose and
powered beater/brush. BTW, my
unit is bagless; we have always had a
dog or 2; have had no problems
with dog hair. I would never buy a
central system with a bag. Bags plug
and suction goes down, especially if you
use it, like I do, for cleaning in
the shop area.

L M wrote:
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

Dr. Hardcrab

"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

I have a Nutone that has been installed since 1978 and have not had one
problem with it since. Well, wait.......I DID have a clog when my son
decided to vacuum up some French toast one time. Other than that, no
problems.

I was at a cistomer's house the other day and she had an option I want to
install wjhen I redo my kitchen. It was mounted on the kickplate of her
kitchen sink. She called it a "central dustpan". Basically you can sweep the
floor with a broom and then step on a small lever to open a door (which
kicks the central vac on) and you sweep it into the opening. I just thought
that would be really handy to have for cleaning up in the kitchen without
having to drag the hose out.

Anyone know what the real name of the accessory is?

BoborAnn

The device you describe is called the automatic dustpan. I have one and it
gets used every day
here is a link http://shop.store.yahoo.com/frigidairevac/vaaudu.html
Bob

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"L M" wrote in message
[...]

Don Wiss

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005, "Dr. Hardcrab" wrote:

I was at a cistomer's house the other day and she had an option I want to
install wjhen I redo my kitchen. It was mounted on the kickplate of her
kitchen sink. She called it a "central dustpan". Basically you can sweep the
floor with a broom and then step on a small lever to open a door (which
kicks the central vac on) and you sweep it into the opening. I just thought
that would be really handy to have for cleaning up in the kitchen without
having to drag the hose out.

Anyone know what the real name of the accessory is?

I put central dustpan into google and a bunch of links came up. Seems it is
called a central dustpan.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Art

I have a Nutone dual motor tank. It works well. They used to guarantee the
motors for life but they stopped that a few years ago. That was one reason
to use Nutone right there. It has a bag and there is no decrease in suction
as the bag fills. In fact it is so powerful no matter how full the bag is
that it is important to check the bag every few months so you don't overfill
it. It has a secondary filter to protect the motor in case you burst the
bag which happened to me when I used 3rd party bags. Nutone bags are
superior and that is all I buy now.

As far as the power head, I've tried several. I started off with a Nutone
that was obviously built by Eureka. It was narrow and noisy. I then bought
an expensive Stealth from Italy. It was quiet and well engineered but the
brushes weren't long enuf for our low nap carpet and after using it for
several years we decided it really wasn't doing a good job. Consumer
Reports rated Stealth and said it was good. We sold that head on ebay and
bought a Hoover Windtunnel head. It is basically the same head used on
highly rated windtunnel cannister vaccuums. When Consumer Reports rated
central vacs they failed to test that head and instead tested cheaper
Hoover powerheads. However whenever they test regular cannister vaccuums
the windtunnel heads are top rated. We are extremely happy with it. It is
not as elegantly designed or as quiet as the Stealth but it does a great
job.

"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

FDR

"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

While we are on the subject, is it possible to have the vacuum pump located
above the floor you want to install the outlets? For example, vacuum in
attic with vacuum receptacles on second floor.

Art

It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it has
to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might
give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

"FDR" wrote in message

"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.

While we are on the subject, is it possible to have the vacuum pump
located above the floor you want to install the outlets? For example,
vacuum in attic with vacuum receptacles on second floor.

Don Wiss

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, Art wrote:

It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it has
to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might
give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

Are there no longer models that exhaust to the outside?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Dr. Hardcrab

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, Art wrote:

It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it has
to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might
give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

Are there no longer models that exhaust to the outside?

Most of the new installs I have seen still exhaust outdoors. They also have
"mufflers" that are installed that make them even quieter....

Rudy

Anyone know what the real name of the accessory is?

Vac-Pan

Dr. Hardcrab

"Art" wrote

I've tried mine with and without a muffler. Mufflers just take the edge
off the noise. It is still loud in my garage. Any can exhaust to the
outside if you want.

Yeah. I had never heard of a muffler for them and was at a customer's house
when I saw my first one. He actually had an extra one (the intsaller left it
behind) so I brought it hom and put it on mine. Couldn't tell much of a
difference, really.....

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, Art wrote:

It works on suction so it should not be a problem but remember that it
has
to be emptied regularly and so it needs to be assessible. Plus it might
give off some dust. A garage is ideal.

Are there no longer models that exhaust to the outside?

Most of the new installs I have seen still exhaust outdoors. They also
have "mufflers" that are installed that make them even quieter....

Art Todesco

The "muffler" on my system (30+ year
old Nutone) is really just an outside
hood with a square of fiberglass
insulation inside. It does take away
some of
the higher frequency noise, but it still
makes quite a rumble for the neighbors.

"Art" wrote