Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Default Question about AMT mortise attachment

Folks, before my father passed away, he had purchased an AMT mortise
attachment for his drill press, a 3/8" mortise chisel and drill bit,
and some sort of fence attachment. Unfortunately, I do not have any
instructions on how these may work together. Does anyone know, or
perhaps can point me to a website where I may obtain instructions on
how to attach the mortise attachment to the drill press? The fence I
can figure out, it looks as though it has two round arms that would
hold the work in at the fence for support, but I'm not sure how to
attach and adjust the drill attachment, nor how to adjust properly the
chisel/bit combination. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

Here is the link to Delta's model.
Maybe it will help.

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm...1-12-16-04.pdf

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks, before my father passed away, he had purchased an AMT mortise
attachment for his drill press, a 3/8" mortise chisel and drill bit,
and some sort of fence attachment. Unfortunately, I do not have any
instructions on how these may work together. Does anyone know, or
perhaps can point me to a website where I may obtain instructions on
how to attach the mortise attachment to the drill press? The fence I
can figure out, it looks as though it has two round arms that would
hold the work in at the fence for support, but I'm not sure how to
attach and adjust the drill attachment, nor how to adjust properly the
chisel/bit combination. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

Folks, before my father passed away, he had purchased an AMT mortise
attachment for his drill press, a 3/8" mortise chisel and drill bit,
and some sort of fence attachment. Unfortunately, I do not have any
instructions on how these may work together. Does anyone know, or
perhaps can point me to a website where I may obtain instructions on
how to attach the mortise attachment to the drill press? The fence I
can figure out, it looks as though it has two round arms that would
hold the work in at the fence for support, but I'm not sure how to
attach and adjust the drill attachment, nor how to adjust properly the
chisel/bit combination. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Hi Richard:

I have the same drill press/mortising attachment
from the now defunct AMT.

I posted a pdf of the instruction sheet in
ABPW. Sorry about the large file size!

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry Q. Bibb

Richard,

The Delta manual should help you understand how to set it up, but
do be careful with that chisel. As far as I know, AMT was the only
manufacturer whose chisels are 3/4" where they attach to the chisel
holder. Everybody else's were/are 5/8". I don't know where you'd
ever get another.

HB

In article ,
says...
Here is the link to Delta's model.
Maybe it will help.

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm...1-12-16-04.pdf

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks, before my father passed away, he had purchased an AMT mortise
attachment for his drill press, a 3/8" mortise chisel and drill bit,
and some sort of fence attachment. Unfortunately, I do not have any
instructions on how these may work together. Does anyone know, or
perhaps can point me to a website where I may obtain instructions on
how to attach the mortise attachment to the drill press? The fence I
can figure out, it looks as though it has two round arms that would
hold the work in at the fence for support, but I'm not sure how to
attach and adjust the drill attachment, nor how to adjust properly the
chisel/bit combination. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Thanks so much, Lou, but what is ABPW? Please let me know so that I
may download your instruction sheet, thanks, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

Thanks so much, Lou, but what is ABPW? Please let me know so that I
may download your instruction sheet, thanks, Richard

It is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
which we are supposed to use for posting
larger files like pictures etc. If your
internet provider doesn't carry it, I guess
I could "sneak" it in here.

Let me know.

:-)

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Lou, I found some woodworking pictures on xusenet, but there were like
~900 pictures there. How would I be able to know which one has your
document? If you post it here, I will download it and you may delete
it thereafter, or please let me know how I might be able to retrieve it
from xusenet, thanks so much! By the way, I did download the
delta instructions, but I don't think that I have all the parts that
are listed in the Delta pdf file. I have the chisel holder that gets
attached to the drill press, the chisel and drill bit, and the fence.
I wasn't real clear on how to attach the chisel holder to the drill
press, and I have no alignment pin, as is illustrated in the delta
file, but I suppose that I could just put a drill bit into the jacobs
chuck, to align it. At any rate, thanks for all your help, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

Default - AMTmortise.pdf (0/5) Question about AMT mortise attachment

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

Lou, I found some woodworking pictures on xusenet, but there were like
~900 pictures there. How would I be able to know which one has your
document? If you post it here, I will download it and you may delete
it thereafter, or please let me know how I might be able to retrieve it
from xusenet, thanks so much! By the way, I did download the
delta instructions, but I don't think that I have all the parts that
are listed in the Delta pdf file. I have the chisel holder that gets
attached to the drill press, the chisel and drill bit, and the fence.
I wasn't real clear on how to attach the chisel holder to the drill
press, and I have no alignment pin, as is illustrated in the delta
file, but I suppose that I could just put a drill bit into the jacobs
chuck, to align it. At any rate, thanks for all your help, Richard

Here it is Richard...

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

loutent (in ) said:

| In article .com,
| Richard wrote:
|
|| Thanks so much, Lou, but what is ABPW? Please let me know so that
|| I may download your instruction sheet, thanks, Richard
|
| It is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
| which we are supposed to use for posting
| larger files like pictures etc. If your
| internet provider doesn't carry it, I guess
| I could "sneak" it in here.

Ouch! More warning please, so I can at least tell my poor, brain-dead
client to ignore additions to the thread.

BTW, only parts 0, 1, 2, and 5 made it through news.qwest.net

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

Lou, I found some woodworking pictures on xusenet, but there were like
~900 pictures there. How would I be able to know which one has your
document? If you post it here, I will download it and you may delete
it thereafter, or please let me know how I might be able to retrieve it
from xusenet, thanks so much! By the way, I did download the
delta instructions, but I don't think that I have all the parts that
are listed in the Delta pdf file. I have the chisel holder that gets
attached to the drill press, the chisel and drill bit, and the fence.
I wasn't real clear on how to attach the chisel holder to the drill
press, and I have no alignment pin, as is illustrated in the delta
file, but I suppose that I could just put a drill bit into the jacobs
chuck, to align it. At any rate, thanks for all your help, Richard

If you can sort on date and/or title
(ATM/mortise.pdf) maybe that would help.

I could also e-mail it to you if you want
me to (at least I think I can).

Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Lou, please email it, if possible, to . Thanks so
much!

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

I just sent it.

Lou
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Thanks so much, Lou, and everyone else for your insight and help. I
did successfully receive the instructions, and will try to get this
going. I have a Delta/Rockwell radial drill press (which was dad's),
and I'm not at all sure that he got it to work, nor am I sure that I
have the little rubber ring mentioned in the instructions. I guess I
have to extend the quill, then clamp the mortise guide attachment to
the quill.
I don't really know how much dad spent on this stuff, but Harbor
Freight has a mortising machine for ~$100.00 (with 20% off coupon), so
I'm not willing to spend much money on getting this attachment to work,
when I can purchase an entire mortising machine with several
chisel/drill sets for that price. Thanks so much again, Richard

loutent wrote:
In article .com,
Richard wrote:

I just sent it.

Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

I'm glad you finally got it. FWIW, I paid
around $250 for the floor model AMT drill
press and $35 for the mortise attachment.
This was about 15 years ago.

A couple of years ago, I finally sprung
for a delta bench top mortiser, so I don't
use the drill press for that task anymore.
The 3/4 inch shank makes getting chisels
& bits too difficult for the AMT.

Good luck!

Lou

In article .com,
Richard wrote:

Thanks so much, Lou, and everyone else for your insight and help. I
did successfully receive the instructions, and will try to get this
going. I have a Delta/Rockwell radial drill press (which was dad's),
and I'm not at all sure that he got it to work, nor am I sure that I
have the little rubber ring mentioned in the instructions. I guess I
have to extend the quill, then clamp the mortise guide attachment to
the quill.
I don't really know how much dad spent on this stuff, but Harbor
Freight has a mortising machine for ~$100.00 (with 20% off coupon), so
I'm not willing to spend much money on getting this attachment to work,
when I can purchase an entire mortising machine with several
chisel/drill sets for that price. Thanks so much again, Richard

loutent wrote:
In article .com,
Richard wrote:

I just sent it.

Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Lou, I was thinking about perhaps some sort of bushing that could be
used to bush it from 3/4 to 5/8" Wouldn't that work? Thanks again,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

Ok Richard, I've had a glass or two of wine,
but even at that, I don't think that you can
bush anything from 3/4 (12/16) to 5/8 (10/16).

Lou

In article . com,
Richard wrote:

Lou, I was thinking about perhaps some sort of bushing that could be
used to bush it from 3/4 to 5/8" Wouldn't that work? Thanks again,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Well, Lou, I removed the drill stop collar from the Rockwell/Delta
radial drill press, and the mortise attachment fits on the quill
precisely! Now the next thing that I need to do is put something into
the chuck, in order to help center the mortise attachment, then replace
that with the drill bit and the chisel, and it looks as though I might
be in business!

If I used a bushing that was 1/16" thick, wouldn't that work? :-)
Thanks, Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

loutent wrote:
Ok Richard, I've had a glass or two of wine,
but even at that, I don't think that you can
bush anything from 3/4 (12/16) to 5/8 (10/16).

Might be hard for a shaft, but it's pretty easy for a hole....

- Brooks

Imperial Measure Mortise Chisels Tom Banes Woodworking 0 December 30th 05 01:24 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Trestle Table Design Question - Knock down top attachment Chad Richardson Woodworking 5 November 18th 04 09:14 PM
pics of new mill attachment and machining question Rick Metalworking 12 August 8th 04 07:56 PM
Mortise attachment for Delta drill press Greg Carter Woodworking 10 March 18th 04 02:22 PM