Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? XCVIII

According to R.H. :

O.K. How precisely is it 15/16"? Do you have a micrometer to
measure it precisely? I would expect it to be pretty precise, as it
looks to be surface ground to dimension.

Turns out that it's not real close to 15/16" (.9375), I used two different
micrometers, the digital one read .924 and the mechanical one .917. So it's
closer to 59/64, which is .921875, I'm guessing that it's still most likely
a gauge for checking some work.

Did you check whether the dimensions were the same side to side
as top to bottom? I would expect them to be so, so it would not matter
which way you installed it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:28:27 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Rich Grise :
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:37:42 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Tim Shoppa :

As enigmatic as Gary Larson's "Cow Tools" :-).

http://www.salon.com/people/portfoli...on/older4.html

I like that one.

I don't get it. )-;

It is like us, trying to figure out what these puzzle tools do,
when we don't even know what field they work in.

Would you expect to understand what a cow's tools do, when you
don't even know what kind of work a cow might want to do with tools?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I thought it might have something to do with the cow toolmaker's
dexterity. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:25:44 +0000, R.H. wrote:

O.K. How precisely is it 15/16"? Do you have a micrometer to measure
it precisely? I would expect it to be pretty precise, as it looks to be
surface ground to dimension.

Turns out that it's not real close to 15/16" (.9375), I used two different
micrometers, the digital one read .924 and the mechanical one .917. So
it's closer to 59/64, which is .921875, I'm guessing that it's still most
likely a gauge for checking some work.

You need your micrometers calibrated.

If I needed machining work done, and I found out that this is as close
to .001" as your shop can even _measure_, I'd RUN, not walk, to the
nearest exit!

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

566 Does it have a hole for a screw? I think it goes on the
handle end of a walking stick in case you want to use the handle
end as a weapon.

The handle doesn't have a hole for a screw, it would make a good weapon but
I don't know it was meant for that.

My husband suggested that this might be the handle of a fancy riding
crop or swagger-stick, rather than a cane. If the total length is 3.25
inches, then the opening for the shaft at the hand is just a hair
under 1/2 an inch (unless, of couse I've completely bobbled my
math...) That seems awfully thin for a cane, but just about right for
the butt end of a crop.

Barb

I measured it by rolling up a piece of paper, inserting it into the handle,
taping the paper and then getting the diameter of the cylinder, which was
19/32". That makes it just under 5/8", probably thick enough for a fancy
cane that's not meant to support much weight, I'm not familiar with riding
crops and swagger-sticks so I don't know what size they usually were.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:37:32 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

[...]

OK, then. I was going by the apparent ratio of opening diameter to
length in the picture, and your stated length of 3.5 inches. Yes, 5/8
is about right for an evening cane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Turns out that it's not real close to 15/16" (.9375), I used two

different
micrometers, the digital one read .924 and the mechanical one .917. So

it's
closer to 59/64, which is .921875, I'm guessing that it's still most

likely
a gauge for checking some work.

Did you check whether the dimensions were the same side to side
as top to bottom? I would expect them to be so, so it would not matter
which way you installed it.

Yes it was same on both sides and top to bottom, so it could be used in
either orientation.

Rob