Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

Default What is it? XCVIII

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:37:32 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

566 Does it have a hole for a screw? I think it goes on the
handle end of a walking stick in case you want to use the handle
end as a weapon.

The handle doesn't have a hole for a screw, it would make a good weapon but
I don't know it was meant for that.

My husband suggested that this might be the handle of a fancy riding
crop or swagger-stick, rather than a cane. If the total length is 3.25
inches, then the opening for the shaft at the hand is just a hair
under 1/2 an inch (unless, of couse I've completely bobbled my
math...) That seems awfully thin for a cane, but just about right for
the butt end of a crop.

Barb

I measured it by rolling up a piece of paper, inserting it into the handle,
taping the paper and then getting the diameter of the cylinder, which was
19/32". That makes it just under 5/8", probably thick enough for a fancy
cane that's not meant to support much weight, I'm not familiar with riding
crops and swagger-sticks so I don't know what size they usually were.

Rob

OK, then. I was going by the apparent ratio of opening diameter to
length in the picture, and your stated length of 3.5 inches. Yes, 5/8
is about right for an evening cane.