Posted to rec.woodworking
j.b. miller

Default Stoke Sander question

To anyone who has a stroke sander, can you feed stock( 12' long) from the
side and onto the bed for sanding then push it out the other side? Reason, I
have lots of 8by8s that need to be sanded and the planer style sanders only
have a 4" depth.
Are 8" stroke sanders common or are there any 'homemade'
plans available.
Thanks for any feedback

--
Jay Miller
Temtronic Designs Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Moore

I have a 4x8 Johannsen that would sand in an 8-9 feet (6"wide belt) section
at a time. However, the end throat clearance is only 6". I guess you
could go through at an angle. Would be a lot of weight on the bed. What
might work easier is something like an old Performax 18" drum sander that
attaches to a radial arm saw column. That should give you the ability to do
your stock easily. Should be easier to find and a LOT cheaper to obtain.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"j.b. miller" wrote in message
To anyone who has a stroke sander, can you feed stock( 12' long) from the
side and onto the bed for sanding then push it out the other side? Reason,
have lots of 8by8s that need to be sanded and the planer style sanders
only
have a 4" depth.
Are 8" stroke sanders common or are there any 'homemade'
plans available.
Thanks for any feedback

--
Jay Miller
Temtronic Designs Inc.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~temtronic/homepage.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
j.b. miller

Ron
Now that's a GREAT idea...wished I hadn't tossed out the fancy electronic
RAS I had.....but it's got me thinking 'outside the box' !!!