Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Corbel sizing

I'm going to put some wainscoting on three sides of a square kitchen
island. The size of the top of the island is 48" x 48" and the back
side has an overhang of about 10".

Corbels are not needed structurally, but I'd like to put a couple in
for aesthetics. My question is, what size corbels should I use? I have
never used them, and I don't want to choose a size that's too small or
too large. A google image search brings up this pictu
http://store.wellsfargoestore.com/me...land%20end.jpg

Is that about right? Those look pretty big to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Those are ugly as heck! But it's not just aesthetics we're talkin'
here. You could go smaller, depending on the top surface materials'
rigidity. If the top seems spindly, support at -least- 2/3rds of your
overhang. I think. Tom