Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on equipment to reproduce design

Hi,

My name is Alan, I'm from Ireland and I currently have a small business
which makes ornamental garden water mill wheels, please refer to
www.irishwaterwheels.com. The various designs for my product are
completed on autocad and these are then submitted to a vendor in
Donegal (www.urlar.ie) who has a wood lazer cutting equipment that cuts
out the designs from Marine Plywood.

However, there are many problems with this process, such as;

1. Firstly, in order to collect the order from the vendor in Donegal is
a 7 hour return trip for me.
2. Also, the lazer is of course unable to burn to a depth so cannot cut
out slots which I require for my design.
3. The glue used between the laminates causes burning which has a very
undesirable effect on the edges of my designs.
4. The process is quite slow and extremely expensive.

Hence, I am looking for alternatives. I can manually cut these designs
out via a jigsaw but this is time-consuming and error prone. I have
been trying to source other cheaper CNC wood cutting vendors who will
meet my needs but it seems they are reluctant to deal with such small
orders (perhaps 10 - 20 sheets of Marine Plywood to be cut at a time).

So I am mailing this woodworking forum in an effort to get some
feedback, help/advice,
comments on other suggested methods/machinery which I could use to cut
out such intricate patterns and which would cater for slots. I would be
extremely grateful for any helpful information provided.

I was thinking of some type of small CNC cutter but would this be
expensive and would it cater for my 4ft Water Wheel design?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

(in
) said:

| Hi,
|
| My name is Alan, I'm from Ireland and I currently have a small
| business which makes ornamental garden water mill wheels, please
| refer to
www.irishwaterwheels.com. The various designs for my
| product are completed on autocad and these are then submitted to a
| vendor in Donegal (www.urlar.ie) who has a wood lazer cutting
| equipment that cuts out the designs from Marine Plywood.
|
| However, there are many problems with this process, such as;
|
| 1. Firstly, in order to collect the order from the vendor in
| Donegal is a 7 hour return trip for me.
| 2. Also, the lazer is of course unable to burn to a depth so cannot
| cut out slots which I require for my design.
| 3. The glue used between the laminates causes burning which has a
| very undesirable effect on the edges of my designs.
| 4. The process is quite slow and extremely expensive.
|
| Hence, I am looking for alternatives. I can manually cut these
| designs out via a jigsaw but this is time-consuming and error
| prone. I have been trying to source other cheaper CNC wood cutting
| vendors who will meet my needs but it seems they are reluctant to
| deal with such small orders (perhaps 10 - 20 sheets of Marine
| Plywood to be cut at a time).
|
| So I am mailing this woodworking forum in an effort to get some
| feedback, help/advice,
| comments on other suggested methods/machinery which I could use to
| cut out such intricate patterns and which would cater for slots. I
| would be extremely grateful for any helpful information provided.
|
| I was thinking of some type of small CNC cutter but would this be
| expensive and would it cater for my 4ft Water Wheel design?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Alan...

ShopBot (in the USA) is having a special on their 48"x48" CNC router.
There's info at
http://www.shopbottools.com/prtspecial.htm

I've been using a ShopBot 48 x 96 for several years and like it fairly
well.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for that Morris but I have only a small business and absolutely
no knowledge of CNC work so I would be looking to get maybe some
equipment, possibly secondhand, within the UK or Ireland (to reduce
shipping costs) that could meet my needs. But at the moment, I'm not
sure exactly what I should be looking at or for? Hopefully, there is
something available for less than €10,000 but preferably less than
€5,000??? Anyone know of anything??

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

(in
) said:

| Thanks for that Morris but I have only a small business and
| absolutely no knowledge of CNC work so I would be looking to get
| maybe some equipment, possibly secondhand, within the UK or Ireland
| (to reduce shipping costs) that could meet my needs. But at the
| moment, I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking at or for?
| Hopefully, there is something available for less than ?10,000 but
| preferably less than ?5,000??? Anyone know of anything??

Alan...

Save this link:
http://www.talkshopbot.com/messages/...tml?1137254071 - it's
where ShopBotters generally post used machines for sale and I've seen
some good sell offers. A 48x48 machine (large enough for your
waterwheels?) was offered this past week for US$3000. A really good
price on a used machine might more than offset shipping costs.

You might also want to keep an eye on used equipment for sale at
http://www.cnczone.com. I'm in the process of building a new CNC
machine and found my controller and stepper vendors there - and I've
discovered that it's possible to build a machine from scratch for
around US$1000.

Good luck!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Cut out a pattern to make a template with a hand held jig saw and then use
it with a top bearing flush trim cut router bit and router to cut out the
design yourself.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks again Morris. That looks good alright, but I'm not even sure
that I need all that. I'm basically just cutting an intricate shape
from some 3/4 inch marine plywood so if I used my templates (which are
laser cut from steel), is there some of equipment which culd mimic the
shape from a 4ft x 8ft sheet of Marine Ply... something similar to
these machines; http://www.copycarver.com/
http://www.terrco.com/ter_5.htm
....only not at all for carving? Would that be a cheaper alternative
again?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Leon, that would be more like what I would be looking for. I'll
have to get each type of design cut from steel anyway so that'll
suffice as the template for each. I've never heard of a top bearing
flush trim cut router bit but I'll do some investigations. Cutting like
this shouldn't take too long??

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

Alan,

While you can certainly use pattern/template bits to cut through 3/4"
plywood in 1 shot, its probably going to take multiple passes or you'll
wear your bits out fairly quick. Its probably better to use a jigsaw
to rough cut the pattern to within an 1/8" or so, and then use the
pattern bit to clean up the cut.

Here are some sources:

Freud Tools (Italy)
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...sh_Trim_1.html

Whiteside (USA)
http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/c.../TemplateT.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

Alan,

Forgot to add that Pat Warner's website is a great resource for all
things routed. His books are excellent. Here is a link to his pattern
cutting page:

http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

(in

http://www.copycarver.com/
| http://www.terrco.com/ter_5.htm
| ...only not at all for carving? Would that be a cheaper alternative
| again?

It would. You'd need a pair of rails on which a carriage/gantry
rolled. On top of this gantry you'd need a second pair of rails at
right angles to the first. On this second pair of rails would ride a
carriage with your router and an arm with a pin the same diameter as
your router bit (or guide bushing if you've been doing it that way)
that you guide along the edges of your template.

Not terribly complicated in concept; but requiring careful design and
construction. When complete, it needs to have an absolute minimum of
"slop" and some reliable way to secure the router in such a way that
you can plunge (to make the cutouts between spokes in your wheel, for
example).

You could probably build an adequate machine of ordinary wood and
standard hardware.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Leon, that would be more like what I would be looking for. I'll
have to get each type of design cut from steel anyway so that'll
suffice as the template for each. I've never heard of a top bearing
flush trim cut router bit but I'll do some investigations. Cutting like
this shouldn't take too long??

I would advise taking probably 3 passes to cut all they way through the
plywood. Your mileage may vary and you may consider getting several of
these bits so that on your last pass you can use a new and sharp bit to have
a cleaner cut as the bit cuts through the bottom surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

A water jet a.k.a. abrasive jet (not sure what they are called
on you side of the pond) easily solves your problems #2 & 3.
It's also quite fast. I have no idea of the cost or availability in
Ireland. A starting point is:
http://www.waterjets.org/

Art

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 18 Jan 2006 04:02:14 -0800, wrote:

[...]

It looks like your other designs the rims and spokes are made from
components, it's just this one with the curved spokes that you cut all
out of one sheet? Why not go to your other procedure and assemble it
from parts. You can stack cut the curved spokes on the band saw a lot
faster than you can rout them out. I don't know if this is enough to
offset the additional assembly time.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
A water jet a.k.a. abrasive jet (not sure what they are called
on you side of the pond) easily solves your problems #2 & 3.
It's also quite fast. I have no idea of the cost or availability in
Ireland. A starting point is:
http://www.waterjets.org/

Art

Have you given any thought to the effect on the plywood setting in water and
being sprayed with water might have?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

No different than it's intended end use being semi-submerged
in water all day & night. It is marine ply after all.

Art

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
A water jet a.k.a. abrasive jet (not sure what they are called
on you side of the pond) easily solves your problems #2 & 3.
It's also quite fast. I have no idea of the cost or availability in
Ireland. A starting point is:
http://www.waterjets.org/

Art

Have you given any thought to the effect on the plywood setting in water and
being sprayed with water might have?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
No different than it's intended end use being semi-submerged
in water all day & night. It is marine ply after all.

Art

Yeah you have a point there. I had forgotten that it would constantly wet
anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On 18 Jan 2006 04:02:14 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

Hi,

My name is Alan, I'm from Ireland and I currently have a small business
which makes ornamental garden water mill wheels, please refer to
www.irishwaterwheels.com. The various designs for my product are
completed on autocad and these are then submitted to a vendor in
Donegal (www.urlar.ie) who has a wood lazer cutting equipment that cuts
out the designs from Marine Plywood.

However, there are many problems with this process, such as;

1. Firstly, in order to collect the order from the vendor in Donegal is
a 7 hour return trip for me.

Look into online ordering systems, Alan.

2. Also, the lazer is of course unable to burn to a depth so cannot cut
out slots which I require for my design.

This leads you toward CNC milling.

3. The glue used between the laminates causes burning which has a very
undesirable effect on the edges of my designs.

Ditto the above.

4. The process is quite slow and extremely expensive.

That would show you how you could put that money toward the CNC mill.

I was thinking of some type of small CNC cutter but would this be
expensive and would it cater for my 4ft Water Wheel design?

Look at the Shopbot types, starting at $3-5,000. If you got one, you
could probably take in other work to cut for others, quickly paying
off the unit.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming