Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

Default portable drum sander

I work out of my garage. Not in my garage but on the driveway outside
my garage. Everything is either on wheels or can be picked up and
placed on a portable table.

I've been casually looking at drum sanders. I think it would be my next
tool addition except my lathe and bandsaw etc take up most of my
available space for larger tools that I have on wheels. Everything else
from my little table saw and planer I can pick up and move.

Is there such a think as a drum sander that with a weight that it can be
picked up? Oh, and work worth effectively for small projects?
Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Well, all I am aware of is the Performax 20 inch drum sander (628900)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

But, if you have been looking at drum sanders, you have probably
already looked that one over.

It is not cheap and it is not particularly light at about 75 lbs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try www.stockroomsupply.com
and look at the V-drum sander.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Hmm. I forgot about that. I made one of these about 5 years ago when
the drum for the "V-drum sander" first became available. I have had it
in my basement ever since. I used it to make my bed slats, but I have
not used it really since I got my Performax. Probably should sell it
since it is just taking floor space.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

interesting except that my main need is to produce thin stock for
example 1/8th of an inch thick. I'm not sure this gadget would work

wrote:
Try
www.stockroomsupply.com
and look at the V-drum sander.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Then I would go for a Performax or a machine similar to that. That is
what I use mine for, to get a smooth, consistant surface with a
controlled thickness.

I am in Ann Arbor, MI. I guess I would listen to offers. It has an 18
inch roll, floor standing, wheels and dust collection port. If there
is some general interest, I will post pictures.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

the problem is the weight of the performax. I don't have the space.
Most of my tools sit on shelves and I take them down and carry them out
onto the driveway when I need them.

I was looking at a small Grizzly drum sander but even that is something
like a couple hundred pounds.

eganders wrote:
Then I would go for a Performax or a machine similar to that. That is
what I use mine for, to get a smooth, consistant surface with a
controlled thickness.

I am in Ann Arbor, MI. I guess I would listen to offers. It has an 18
inch roll, floor standing, wheels and dust collection port. If there
is some general interest, I will post pictures.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My gut feeling is that part of the reason a drum sander works - makes
nice even, consistent-thickness pieces - is because of its mass.
Therefore a drum sander that doesn't weigh in pretty heavy isn't going
to give a dependable thickness and surface.

But that's just my first thought and I haven't researched it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

I've heard complaints about the performance of the smaller performax
drum sanders. The main comment is how slow it is to reduce the
thickness of stock.

wrote:
My gut feeling is that part of the reason a drum sander works - makes
nice even, consistent-thickness pieces - is because of its mass.
Therefore a drum sander that doesn't weigh in pretty heavy isn't going
to give a dependable thickness and surface.

But that's just my first thought and I haven't researched it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:10:05 -0700, william kossack
wrote:

interesting except that my main need is to produce thin stock for
example 1/8th of an inch thick. I'm not sure this gadget would work

How wide of a board? One way I've heard is to use a spindle sander
with it's largest drum and a fence. You're limited to about 3-4" wide
boards. Wide 1/8" boards tend to cup pretty badly anyway.

Rockler has decent pricing on thin stock, not as consistent thickness
as I'd like though.

-Leuf