Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

Default Where to buy hardwood in Canada?

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their
hardwoods. Yikes!

I expected high prices on things like Cocobolo, Bubinga, etc., but
even their Poplar, Birch, etc. was pretty high (6 or 7 bucks per BF).

So, where do you Canadians buy from? I found A&M Woods on the net,
whose prices seem a lot more reasonable, but the shipping could be a
killer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Oleg Lego wrote:

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their
hardwoods. Yikes!

I expected high prices on things like Cocobolo, Bubinga, etc., but
even their Poplar, Birch, etc. was pretty high (6 or 7 bucks per BF).

You can't trust anybody these days. It seems to me that "whatever the
idiot will pay for it" is the rule of the land.

So, where do you Canadians buy from? I found A&M Woods on the net,
whose prices seem a lot more reasonable, but the shipping could be a
killer.

Would Sarnia be too big of a drive? Gelinas Hardwoods.
Or London? Philmore Enterprises.
As you mentioned, A&M has fantastic material, but keep in mind his
business deals a lot with musical instrument people.

I just bought some cherry at $6.00 bd/ft at Gelinas and it is a pretty
good grade. This guy deals with a lot of fringe
lunatics/artists/turners. Therefore, he has some odd stuff, like 8/4
ebony (I didn't ask). His eyes sparkled when he pointed at it. Some wild
burls. Call him first.
Posted to rec.woodworking
SBO

You can try at Langevin et Forest (Montreal, Quebec):
http://www.langevinforest.com/fr/home/contactus.asp
http://www.langevinforest.com/pdf/wood.pdf

S.B.

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their
hardwoods. Yikes!

I expected high prices on things like Cocobolo, Bubinga, etc., but
even their Poplar, Birch, etc. was pretty high (6 or 7 bucks per BF).

So, where do you Canadians buy from? I found A&M Woods on the net,
whose prices seem a lot more reasonable, but the shipping could be a
killer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
canola_dan

I've been to "Knights lumber" in guelph, ON... seems like it has a
large variety of hardwood... can't really comment on price comparisons
though.

SBO wrote:
You can try at Langevin et Forest (Montreal, Quebec):
http://www.langevinforest.com/fr/home/contactus.asp
http://www.langevinforest.com/pdf/wood.pdf

S.B.

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their
hardwoods. Yikes!

I expected high prices on things like Cocobolo, Bubinga, etc., but
even their Poplar, Birch, etc. was pretty high (6 or 7 bucks per BF).

So, where do you Canadians buy from? I found A&M Woods on the net,
whose prices seem a lot more reasonable, but the shipping could be a
killer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Robatoy entity posted thusly:

In article ,
Oleg Lego wrote:

I wandered into Windsor Plywood today, and had a look at their
hardwoods. Yikes!

Would Sarnia be too big of a drive? Gelinas Hardwoods.
Or London? Philmore Enterprises.

Yup... too far for pickup. I should have mentioned that I live about
25 miles out of Regina. If I can find places that will ship, and if
they have good enough prices, perhaps I can still save a bit.

As you mentioned, A&M has fantastic material, but keep in mind his
business deals a lot with musical instrument people.

I think I'll check with them on shipping. Their prices beat Windsor
Plywood by a good amount.

I just bought some cherry at $6.00 bd/ft at Gelinas and it is a pretty
good grade. This guy deals with a lot of fringe
lunatics/artists/turners. Therefore, he has some odd stuff, like 8/4
ebony (I didn't ask). His eyes sparkled when he pointed at it. Some wild
burls. Call him first.

I'll see if he will ship. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:12:53 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

http://www.royaltyhardwoods.com

Another islander lurking on rec.woodworking, eh!. If you need any
hard maple, I have a few hundred extra board feet, air dried, MC ~10%
Will sell rough or dressed. Random widths, lengths up to 8', 1" and
some 1 1/2". Would $2 bd ft rough sawn(Band sawn) be reasonable?

Ken
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

Yup... too far for pickup. I should have mentioned that I live about
25 miles out of Regina. If I can find places that will ship, and if
they have good enough prices, perhaps I can still save a bit.

There's SFA in Saskatchewan for hardwood (I'm in Saskatoon).

Considering that no hardwood grows here in any quantity or size fit for
harvest, and the entire province's population is under 1 million,
that's not surprising.

It's that damned "supply and demand" thing again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Oleg Lego wrote:

I should have mentioned that I live about
25 miles out of Regina.

Yea...LOL..you mentioned 'Windsor' something...sooo I drew a conclusion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oleg Lego wrote:

I should have mentioned that I live about
25 miles out of Regina.

Yea...LOL..you mentioned 'Windsor' something...sooo I drew a conclusion.

Oh! I had assumed that Windsor Plywood was a national chain. Perhaps
it isn't. I know there are outlets across the west, all the way to BC.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

Oh! I had assumed that Windsor Plywood was a national chain. Perhaps
it isn't. I know there are outlets across the west, all the way to BC.

BC to Ontario, as well as Washington state and Montana.

http://www.windsorplywood.com/locations.html

But not in Windsor...

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Dave Balderstone wrote:

There's SFA in Saskatchewan for hardwood (I'm in Saskatoon).

I'd noticed that too...

So where do you get your wood? (Or do you just wince and buy at Windsor
Ply or WoodnWorks?)

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Chris Friesen entity posted thusly:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

There's SFA in Saskatchewan for hardwood (I'm in Saskatoon).

I'd noticed that too...

So where do you get your wood? (Or do you just wince and buy at Windsor
Ply or WoodnWorks?)

I wandered back into Windsor Plywood in Regina today, to see about
picking up some Maple to make some cam clamps. Got one pretty good
board at their regular price (6.99/BF).

Then I went wandering around some more, and found a pile of Walnut
'shorts' selling for $5.99/BF. Not bad. Found a nicely grained piece
of sapwood that'll need a bit of ripping to get a straight edge, but
it looks real good for a small project.

I then found a shelf full of cutoffs marked 'by the piece'. Grabbed a
few things I thought I could use (Clear Pine, Cherry), and one piece
of Spanish Cedar just to see what it finished up like.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Chris Friesen
wrote:

So where do you get your wood? (Or do you just wince and buy at Windsor
Ply or WoodnWorks?)

Pretty much, although I do a fair bit of scavenging for turning blanks.
I've got a large rack of limbs of elm, mayday, apple, ash, willow, box
elder, birch...

Co-op Hardware on 8th has rough cut red oak at a decent price that I
use from time to time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
I wandered back into Windsor Plywood in Regina today, to see about
picking up some Maple to make some cam clamps. Got one pretty good
board at their regular price (6.99/BF).

Then I went wandering around some more, and found a pile of Walnut
'shorts' selling for $5.99/BF. Not bad. Found a nicely grained piece
of sapwood that'll need a bit of ripping to get a straight edge, but
it looks real good for a small project.

I then found a shelf full of cutoffs marked 'by the piece'. Grabbed a
few things I thought I could use (Clear Pine, Cherry), and one piece
of Spanish Cedar just to see what it finished up like.

Bet you'll plan to take the pickup, or pickup and folding trailer on your
next trip "back east."

SWMBO was initially doubtful (as always), but accepts it as practice now
that we load to capacity with the local lumber in either direction. I do
sawmills for rough stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The George entity posted thusly:

Bet you'll plan to take the pickup, or pickup and folding trailer on your
next trip "back east."

My next scheduled trip is to The Windsor, Ont. area, for a wedding.
Unfortunately, there will be 4 of us in a Hyundai Elantra, complete
with luggage and little other room. A trailer might work.

Larry
---
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like
my grandfather, not screaming in terror,
like his passengers.
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message

My next scheduled trip is to The Windsor, Ont. area, for a wedding.
Unfortunately, there will be 4 of us in a Hyundai Elantra, complete
with luggage and little other room. A trailer might work.

Check the laws. You'll be driving the UP of Michigan, I imagine, rather than
the Queen's around the big lake, and there's lots of sawmills. Problem
might be getting the stuff back into Canada.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:
"Oleg Lego" wrote in message

My next scheduled trip is to The Windsor, Ont. area, for a wedding.
Unfortunately, there will be 4 of us in a Hyundai Elantra, complete
with luggage and little other room. A trailer might work.

Check the laws. You'll be driving the UP of Michigan, I imagine, rather than
the Queen's around the big lake, and there's lots of sawmills. Problem
might be getting the stuff back into Canada.

Lumber going into Canada has to be kiln dried and you need the
paperwork to prove it.