Posted to rec.woodworking
alan

Default Router To Make Rolodex Cards

I have pre perforated rolodex card blanks, eight on a page. I want to
print on them or just plain card stock, laminate them with a gbc hot
gbk laminator but then I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas. I have a router I never used but I guess it should be
able to cut through a few sheets of laminated card stock.

I guess I could get a drill press too. For the money that these cards
cost to do and the time you have to wait, I'd rather do it myself so
that I have some flexabilty and can easily make changes.

Alan
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

alan wrote:
I have pre perforated rolodex card blanks, eight on a page. I want to
print on them or just plain card stock, laminate them with a gbc hot
gbk laminator but then I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

How about a hole punch?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Alan Calan

Chris,

I have to do a lot of them, They will be laminated. The small rolodex
punch you can buy does one plain business card at a time and I doubt
that you can do it through the laminate. I have looked for a powered
one but can't find it. I'm sure the have large ones for thousands of
dollars but I only need a thousand cards for now but more later.

Alan

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:52:40 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

alan wrote:
I have pre perforated rolodex card blanks, eight on a page. I want to
print on them or just plain card stock, laminate them with a gbc hot
gbk laminator but then I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

How about a hole punch?

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

You might try sandwiching the cards tightly between two pieces of wood
and then using a drill press.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Beacom

In article ,
alan wrote:

I have pre perforated rolodex card blanks, eight on a page. I want to
print on them or just plain card stock, laminate them with a gbc hot
gbk laminator but then I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas. I have a router I never used but I guess it should be
able to cut through a few sheets of laminated card stock.

I guess I could get a drill press too. For the money that these cards
cost to do and the time you have to wait, I'd rather do it myself so
that I have some flexabilty and can easily make changes.

Alan

You might want to take a short piece of metal tube, cut it square, and
sharpen the end. (put the bevel on the inside) Put a bit of doweling in
the other end, so the drill press chuck doesn't crush the tube. Add a
clamp to hold the stock in place, and this pretty much duplicates the
heavy duty hole punch in the print shop at work.

Cheers
Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Beacom" wrote in message

You might want to take a short piece of metal tube, cut it square, and
sharpen the end. (put the bevel on the inside) Put a bit of doweling in
the other end, so the drill press chuck doesn't crush the tube. Add a
clamp to hold the stock in place, and this pretty much duplicates the
heavy duty hole punch in the print shop at work.

That would work if he wanted round holes Rolodex has a slot and rectangular
hole, more like a keyhole shape. It may work as well being round, but you
still need a slot. Maybe a round hole and a couple of scroll saw cuts to
make the slot..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Alan Calan

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:34:25 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

What about a template over it? I would print them as 4 rows & 2
across so each set (leading edge) would have 4 holes, two for each
card on the leading edge, then I'd cut the row and have another
leading edge.

If the template can work, I can clamp the template over the cards but
then, what kind of router bit or even what kind of router could work
best. Plus, i need a bit that would cut through about 25 laminated
cards. laminated with a hot GBC machine. However, the laminate is
thin but I wonder if it acumulates and gets in the way after it is
cut. Also, with using a template make a clean edge?

So, you see some ot the probems. I am beginning to think a punch would
be a good thing but it cannot spin, as it isn't a circle, as you
indicated also. So what would put that constant pressure on that
would create a clean cut. Would a dremmel router be better?

"Michael Beacom" wrote in message

You might want to take a short piece of metal tube, cut it square, and
sharpen the end. (put the bevel on the inside) Put a bit of doweling in
the other end, so the drill press chuck doesn't crush the tube. Add a
clamp to hold the stock in place, and this pretty much duplicates the
heavy duty hole punch in the print shop at work.

That would work if he wanted round holes Rolodex has a slot and rectangular
hole, more like a keyhole shape. It may work as well being round, but you
still need a slot. Maybe a round hole and a couple of scroll saw cuts to
make the slot..

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

With any kind of routing operation the laminate will melt and you will have
a big blob. Go see a tool and die maker. For about $2000.00 to 3000.00, he
should be able to come up with something that will let you go into
production.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"J T" wrote in message

Time for you to think for yourself.

What? And put all those government employees out of work?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:28:26 -0500, alan wrote:

I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas.

I did this once (not Rolodex, but close) and used a powered scroll saw.
The trick its to clamp the stack together _very_ tightly first - this
avoids edges fraying. I used two bits of thin plywood with bolts
through from top to bottom (countersunk heads on the bottom). This
plywood had a small cut-out in it around the slot, about 1/8" away from
the cut line. I also had two or three scrap cards placed on top and
bottom of the stack, under the ply (the top card was also my cut-line
template).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

I WIN!!
http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup1518.html
Wilson

"Wilson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'd bet 25 cents there is apunch for this.
Wilson
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:28:26 -0500, alan wrote:

I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas.

I did this once (not Rolodex, but close) and used a powered scroll saw.
The trick its to clamp the stack together _very_ tightly first - this
avoids edges fraying. I used two bits of thin plywood with bolts
through from top to bottom (countersunk heads on the bottom). This
plywood had a small cut-out in it around the slot, about 1/8" away from
the cut line. I also had two or three scrap cards placed on top and
bottom of the stack, under the ply (the top card was also my cut-line
template).

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

alan wrote:
I have pre perforated rolodex card blanks, eight on a page. I want to
print on them or just plain card stock, laminate them with a gbc hot
gbk laminator but then I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas. I have a router I never used but I guess it should be
able to cut through a few sheets of laminated card stock.

I guess I could get a drill press too. For the money that these cards
cost to do and the time you have to wait, I'd rather do it myself so
that I have some flexabilty and can easily make changes.

Alan

What about using a "RotoZip" tool?

http://www.rotozip.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Alan Calan

Hey Wilson, thanks for looking but I've seen that one thousands of
times. That's a little hand punch to punch the rolodex slots in
business cards, not anything laminated and it certainly couldn't do
more than one at a time.

I was quoted prices up to $1,000.00 for 1,000 cards but I found a
site today www.koolprint.com where they do 4 color custom cards for
$239 with no shipping in the US and they seem to be really nice.

I was really conceerned about doing this myself and when I thought of
the laminate shards, if you will, getting in the way of whatever
cutting method I chose, I was glad I found a reasonably priced way to
do it.

Thank you all for your help!!

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:24:32 GMT, "Wilson"
wrote:

I WIN!!
http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup1518.html
Wilson

"Wilson" wrote in message
link.net...
I'd bet 25 cents there is apunch for this.
Wilson
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:28:26 -0500, alan wrote:

I need to cut out the rolodex holes.

Any easy ideas.

I did this once (not Rolodex, but close) and used a powered scroll saw.
The trick its to clamp the stack together _very_ tightly first - this
avoids edges fraying. I used two bits of thin plywood with bolts
through from top to bottom (countersunk heads on the bottom). This
plywood had a small cut-out in it around the slot, about 1/8" away from
the cut line. I also had two or three scrap cards placed on top and
bottom of the stack, under the ply (the top card was also my cut-line
template).

Posted to rec.woodworking
alan

Hi Ed,

Your name looks so familiar. Have you been on this newsgroup for a
long time? The first time I came on was in the mid 90s.

Anyway, you are correct, the shape is a problem, that's why I thought
of the router.

I ended up ordering the cards but I still needed some until they
came. So I laminated 10 sets of eight. Cutting one at a time was
pretty easy with the paper cutter and got faster each time.

I bought the business card punch like someone suggested on here but
that is really for business cards which are shorter than Rolodex cards
so the punch doesn't go as high to keep the business card at the same
level as the Rolodex cards. You could move the card lower but that
was nearly impossible as there were no guides to keep the slippery
laminated card in place. If in fact it was designed for unpunched
Rolodex cards, it would have worked fine. I tried a scissor,
utility knife and an Exacto knife in a scoring movement. Staying
straight was impossible.

Finally I decided to try to force the Exacto down into the laminated
card and that actually worked pretty well and fast and you could
control the length of the cut by how for the hypotenuse (I never
thought I'd ever use that world again) sunk into the card. It even
worked for the angle coming up from the slot. I would never do a
thousand like that but 80 wasn't bad. What a perfect time to do
something like that in between plays for the two conference
championship football games this weekend.

However, I still think there must be a better answer. I have a
feeling that the slots could be cut by a scroll saw or that Rotozip or
Dremel that some one suggested. I saw a Straight Cut Router Bit on
the Rotozip website but I have no idea what that is other than a bit
that makes clean cuts. Maybe a very thin drill bit for the corners
and then the Roto-zip. It's a shame Rolodex doesn't make a punch for
their cards, the same way they make one for the business cards. With
a punch like that I could probably do 500 during a football game if
the guides were substantial and allowed you to mindlessly put the
unpunched card into the punch.

Maybe someone from Rolodex will see this and make a punch like that. I
will try to send this discussion to the CEO of whatever company owns
Rolodex now.

Thanks,