Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Caul/vacuum press substitute?

A couple of current threads mention cauls and I'm wondering if anyone
has tried this. From top to bottom, a stack like this...

3/4" ply
4" foam
protective paper
veneer
substrate
3/4 ply support

Clamping just around the edges squishes the top & bottom ply
together...that compresses the foam everywhere (though less in the
center on large objects) which provides a relatively uniform pressure
everywhere. Depending on the size of the substrate/veneer, one or more
length wise 2x4s could be place in the central area to increase the foam
compression there.

I used to use this to mount rather large photos on canvas...enough
pressure to transfer the canvas texture through the print. Admittedly,
I've not tried it on veneer as I've had no need.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

dadiOH (in KjQxf.16$sq.4@trnddc01) said:

| A couple of current threads mention cauls and I'm wondering if
| anyone has tried this. From top to bottom, a stack like this...
|
| 3/4" ply
| 4" foam
| protective paper
| veneer
| substrate
| 3/4 ply support
|
| Clamping just around the edges squishes the top & bottom ply
| together...that compresses the foam everywhere (though less in the
| center on large objects) which provides a relatively uniform
| pressure everywhere. Depending on the size of the
| substrate/veneer, one or more length wise 2x4s could be place in
| the central area to increase the foam compression there.
|
| I used to use this to mount rather large photos on canvas...enough
| pressure to transfer the canvas texture through the print.
| Admittedly, I've not tried it on veneer as I've had no need.

Interesting. Another of what I've thought of as a good idea was to use
a recycled leaf spring to ensure that there was adequate pressure all
across the caul's length.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Power Press Break Questions Lane Metalworking 2 January 17th 05 01:11 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Modifying a bottle jack for press use Gunner Metalworking 24 March 1st 04 03:28 AM
Upside down drill press story Backlash Metalworking 4 January 31st 04 04:13 PM
Drill Press Table suggestions Brian D. LaVoie Woodworking 2 August 21st 03 03:16 AM