Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scroll Saw Table Tilt

Let me start out by saying that I DID SEARCH for table tilt-related
threads, but most had to do with table saws, and safety issues relating
to the fence.

My incentive for looking at scroll saws is that my kids are now getting
into Pinewood Derby time in Cub Scouts, though I suspect other uses
will arise. There are two models that I'm considering... one has a
left-only table tilt, and the other has a left/right table tilt. Each
tilts up to 45 degrees in the directions that it goes. Is table tilt
in a scroll saw important in terms of capabilities, or is it more of a
personal preference and/or safety issue as with the table saws?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI

F.A.I.K. just personal preference.

Just keep in mind, with tilt, it becomes harder to control the project
wood. Scroll saw blades break often, and with natural sideways
pressure when table it tilted, burned wood and blade breakage
should be expected. You don't have a lot of height above the
table, but do think of a fixture that will hold the project at the
angle you want, but the table remains flat.

Aside: there is one scroll saw where the table remains
flat, and the motor, arms, and blade rotate. reply back and I
will post link for the Excalibur EX-21 (USD $800.00 + shipping)

Scroll sawing is an eye-hand thing. Very few jigs or fixtures.
More of a practice and more practice thing to build eye-hand
co-ordination. Don't let the kids get discouraged, cut to the
fat side of the line, and then file or sand down to the line.

Keep pressing home the fact a scroll saw is a motorized copping
saw. Most common mistake is too little blade tension. 2nd is
forcing the wood too fast past the blade. Watch for blade deflection.

Phil

wrote in message
oups.com...
Let me start out by saying that I DID SEARCH for table tilt-related
threads, but most had to do with table saws, and safety issues relating
to the fence.

My incentive for looking at scroll saws is that my kids are now getting
into Pinewood Derby time in Cub Scouts, though I suspect other uses
will arise. There are two models that I'm considering... one has a
left-only table tilt, and the other has a left/right table tilt. Each
tilts up to 45 degrees in the directions that it goes. Is table tilt
in a scroll saw important in terms of capabilities, or is it more of a
personal preference and/or safety issue as with the table saws?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

All other things being equal, a table that tilts both ways would be more
desirable.

I don't know which two you are considering, or how much you have to spend.
But far more important than tilting both ways is a scroll saw that has low
vibration.

My first scroll saw was a Dremel, the vibration was terrible at nearly all
speeds. The table shook so bad it made it ten times harder to do anything
with precision.

I now have the DeWalt DW 788, 20" scroll saw. Smooth as silk at all speeds,
and at about half the price of the Excalibur.

FYI, the DeWalt DW 788 is made by Excalibur for DeWalt.

It is also very nice for how quickly you can change blades and slide blades
inside a pattern and get back to cutting. Once you get used to it you will
love this feature on the DeWalt as well. The DeWalt tilts both directions
too.

I've been very pleased with the DeWalt, I think it's the best buy on the
market for a professional quality scroll saw. Watch the sales on Amazon and
you can pick it up for about 425 with a stand and light. The stand is good,
the light is awkward. I took the light off the scroll saw and mounted it to
my work bench near my bench-top drill press and its pretty useful there. It
got in the way on the scroll saw and I use an illuminated magnifier like a
lot of other scroll sawers do anyway.

Later Gator,

RangerPaul

remove the nospam to email me, RP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Let me start out by saying that I DID SEARCH for table tilt-related
threads, but most had to do with table saws, and safety issues relating
to the fence.

My incentive for looking at scroll saws is that my kids are now getting
into Pinewood Derby time in Cub Scouts, though I suspect other uses
will arise. There are two models that I'm considering... one has a
left-only table tilt, and the other has a left/right table tilt. Each
tilts up to 45 degrees in the directions that it goes. Is table tilt
in a scroll saw important in terms of capabilities, or is it more of a
personal preference and/or safety issue as with the table saws?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I saw the Tradesman 16" variable speed scroll saw at Lowes (I think
it's the Lowes brand) for $80 on clearance. 2" max cut depth and tilts
45 degrees both ways. Then I was the Dremel Scroll Station 1800 18"
variable speed with sanding disc. 1-3/4" max cut depth and tilts 45 to
left, and 5 degrees to right. Home Depot has a good price on these,
I'm looking for something under $150, so top-of-the-line stuff is out
of the question.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ranger Paul

Hey I full understand about not being able to afford top of the line all the
time.

Last thing I woud suggest then is to see if the home centers will let you
plug one in and with a blade installed and tensioned turn it on, buy the one
with the least vibration, and try it at different speed settings.

RangerPaul

wrote in message
ups.com...
I saw the Tradesman 16" variable speed scroll saw at Lowes (I think
it's the Lowes brand) for $80 on clearance. 2" max cut depth and tilts
45 degrees both ways. Then I was the Dremel Scroll Station 1800 18"
variable speed with sanding disc. 1-3/4" max cut depth and tilts 45 to
left, and 5 degrees to right. Home Depot has a good price on these,
I'm looking for something under $150, so top-of-the-line stuff is out
of the question.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"Ranger Paul" wrote in message
. ..

I now have the DeWalt DW 788, 20" scroll saw. Smooth as silk at all
speeds, and at about half the price of the Excalibur.

I have a Delta 16 inch scroll saw which is also very smooth running, don't
even have to bolt it down as I did my first scroll saw. I notice that
Amazon.com has the 16 inch Delta on sale for $89.95 with free shipping and
as usual, no sales tax. Didn't get my scroll saw from Amazon but have
purchased other tools and etc from them with absolutely no problems. RM~