Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default PineyWood Darby Track

I've been tasked with doing the testing and setup of the Pinewood
Derby Track for this year.

Apparently our pack bought the wood version of the track made by
http://www.pinewoodderbytrack.com/index.html in 2002. At the same
time we purchased the MicroWizard timing system.

It seems well enough made, although one of the track sections is
labeled incorrectly which, if assembled accordingly, produces a bump
in the joining of the guide sections - which may have been the reason
for some cars jumping the track last year.

Anyways, this track was provided with no finish and no one has seen
fit to put one on it since it was purchased. The manufacturer includes
instructions for finishing all surfaces of the track with water-based
polyurethane.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad way to go but thought that I
would elicit some comment here before buying materials and applying.

This could be an opportunity to turn an acceptable track into
something a bit more.

The track shows signs of being stored in an unconditioned space -
rough surfaces, moisture stains, etc. It also has a number of stains
from what I assume to be lubricants.

I figure that it is a good idea to sand and finish it - but I've been
wrong before.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
mogura

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't really matter as long as all the lanes are the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

The track shows signs of being stored in an unconditioned space -
rough surfaces, moisture stains, etc. It also has a number of stains
from what I assume to be lubricants.

I figure that it is a good idea to sand and finish it - but I've been
wrong before.

You're going to bias it more than it is already by creating dips and slicks
if you aren't careful. I made ours with 1/4" masonite, unfinished, for that
reason. Even had a turnbuckle to control the curvature of the drop, back
when most folks were making bouncy plywood messes, most of which were sanded
and painted peeled fir.

Better idea is to get it straight, sand only for equalization, test for
bias, and find someone who will store it in the crate up in the garage
rafters. First kid's 30 now, so make it over 20 years of service on the old
one. Did some repair/replace on it five years ago at the request of the
current Cubmaster.