Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Light for router

After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"David" wrote in message
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

Dave,

You need to stop woodworking with the lights off!

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

stoutman wrote:

Dave,

You need to stop woodworking with the lights off!

Maybe I should pay the light bill, eh? I spent all the money on tools!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

"After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router

Well the brand everyone loves to hate, Craftsman, had and may still have, a
built in light. My two 40 plus year old Craftsman's have built in work
lights. They are the ones I reach for to do critical work out of five (I
don't like to change bits). Always wonder why the big names, Porter Cable,
for example, never did this.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

David wrote:

After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to
attach it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

How about one of the clip on led lights. Lighter weight and batteries
last longer. I've got a pair of the Panther Vision clip ons I use on my
glasses - safety and regular. I think you could clip one or two on a
router quite easily. Here's the set I have

http://www.perfectionoptics.com/prd_anywhereclipon2.html

I paid about $17 for them at Lowes.

LD

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

WConner wrote:

"After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a
router

Well the brand everyone loves to hate, Craftsman, had and may
still have, a built in light. My two 40 plus year old Craftsman's
have built in work lights. They are the ones I reach for to do
critical work out of five (I don't like to change bits). Always
wonder why the big names, Porter Cable, for example, never did
this.

Walt Conner

I had a Craftsman router with a light in it once. Was my first router
and was a gift from my dearly beloved back when she was still
dearly beloved. It got tore up pretty quick as you can imagine. Then I
went out and bought a Porter Cable. No light, but I still use that
router all the time ;-)

Moral of the story? Never buy a router with a light.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Lobby Dosser wrote:

David wrote:

[...]

That looks like it would work fine. thank you. Gives me a good excuse
to drive to Lowe's (26 miles away...have a HD about 5 blocks away which
is always out of whatever I need, so invariably I go to the next closest
one, about 2 miles away)

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

shouldnt be that hard to mount a superbright LED with a diode and current
limiting resistor so it runs off the 120 volt motor supply.
sometimes you can just use clear silicone for mounting.
I do lots of things with LED's now. Its my favorite light source.

Doug

"David" wrote in message
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gene T

If the light is to be mounted on the body of the router , how about one of
those LED headlamps? You could just slip the headband around the body of
your router.
Gene
"David" wrote in message
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Schultz" wrote in message
shouldnt be that hard to mount a superbright LED with a diode and current
limiting resistor so it runs off the 120 volt motor supply.
sometimes you can just use clear silicone for mounting.
I do lots of things with LED's now. Its my favorite light source.

Not trying to be contrary here but besides being easy on electricity
consumption and not getting very hot, what is the rage with these LED
lights. They blind you when you look at them but seem to only put out
minimal light. My brother in-law bought a flash light with 9 LEDs and its
kinda lights up a dark room. Compared to a simple 2 AA cell MAG light it
sucks. My wife has a new sewing machine that uses 36 LED lights to shine
12" and I can drown all that light out with a simple MAG light. For
Christmas I was given a combination wear it on your head light that uses 5
LED lights 3 red, 2 white and 1 regular tiny regular lamp. The tiny regular
lamp out shines them all. IMHO LED's are bright to look at but do not put
out much light. Is it a fad thing right now or are the lights just being
used for everything right now and eventually they will only be used for stop
lights?
What do you find them useful for?

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

" It got tore up pretty quick as you can imagine"

Always heard some people can tear up a wrecking ball. Both my 40 plus year
old Craftsman with light are still working perfectly, have replaced a few
bulbs. I also have a Porter-Cable.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Russ

At one time Craftsman routers had a built in light. They also sold a battery
light that attached to their routers that didn't have a light. It mounted to
the side and the end was at an angle to shine on the bit. I had one not sure
what happened to it since I got rid of all my Craftsman routers.
David wrote in message
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Some small LED light would be bright for close range and compact. I
have a little one on my keyring that has 4 button-cell batteries. Or a
2-AA headlamp might be a more compact design than a maglight. I think
I'd prefer to have better overhead lighting, or maybe a lamp to clamp
on to your work surface, because I think my router points different
directions each time I use it - I wouldn't want to have to worry about
pointing it in the direction of the light. If you get something
figured out, though, let us know - I'd be interested in seeing it.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

WConner wrote:

" It got tore up pretty quick as you can imagine"

Always heard some people can tear up a wrecking ball.

Yeah, but *more* people can tear up Craftsman power tools ;-)

Seriously though, the new Craftsman "Industrial" line seems to be
pretty good. I've owned a Dewalt, err, Craftsman Industrial drill for
about 10 years now and routinely use it to the max. Except for a
switch I had to replace early on, it runs like a champ.

Both my 40
plus year old Craftsman with light are still working perfectly,

Well yeah, if all you do with it is do a little dainty edge molding
once a month ;-)

I'm just messing with you. Some Craftsman tools are ok. I also have a
Craftsman socket set that I paid way too much for that is holding up
handsomely. You'll have to admit though, when it comes to power tools,
the lower end Craftsman should either be avoided, or used very very
gingerly.

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

David wrote:
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such duty?

Got any pics of a light attached to your router? I don't want to attach
it permanently with hot glue, etc. Quick on and off.

Dave

I ordered some stuff from Harbor Fright some months ago and as a reward
for spending money with them, they gave me a head mounted light (no you
don't have to drill any holes). They probably sell them for a couple
bucks.
cheapo,
jo4hn

p.s. It's still in the packaging so I don't really know how effective it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David wrote:
After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
(maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router.

snip and subsequent gloat

If you had a 28 year old router like my old Craftsman, you'd already
have a light on your router. It was a standard feature on some models.
Boggles the mind why some of the best ideas are forgotten and ignored.

Tom in KY, My old Craftsman router is NOT for sale BTW.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

"Well yeah, if all you do with it is do a little dainty edge molding once a
month ;-)

The one I bought new has been used thru building two new houses, door hinge
mounting thru building kitchen cabinets for both houses, furniture and
crafts since.

"the lower end Craftsman should either be avoided"

As with most lines and I agree, Craftsman did try to live on their name for
many recent years. It is a mystery how someone could take "The Worlds Best
Company" and turn it into a pile of crape so quickly.

Paid too much for hand tools? I bought several sets of wrenches and a new
1/2" socket set complete, ratchets and all, several years ago because they
were such a good price on sale. Have a set of wrenches in each vehicle plus
a couple in the shop. Haven't even used the socket set except the 1-1/4"
socket which my 60 year old SK set does not have.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

well they are way easier on batteries than your mag lite.
you can now get very bright power led's that are easily as bright as
anything else and in a smaller package.
I build custom lighting effects in clear and textured acrylic so I use them
in a lot of custom applications. they have a life span longer than me so I
can build them into things without worrying about how to replace the bulb.
but other than that not very useful.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

I build custom lighting effects in clear and textured acrylic so I use
them in a lot of custom applications. they have a life span longer than me
so I can build them into things without worrying about how to replace the
bulb.
but other than that not very useful.

I do see a good use for the as locally in Houston most all traffic stop
lights have been replaced with the LED lights and automobile manufacturers
have been using them for tail lights for 3 or 4 years. Still those are to
be looked at vs. illuminating a distant object.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Leon entity posted thusly:

Not trying to be contrary here but besides being easy on electricity
consumption and not getting very hot, what is the rage with these LED
lights.

Well, those two reasons and 'bulb' life.

Christmas I was given a combination wear it on your head light that uses 5
LED lights 3 red, 2 white and 1 regular tiny regular lamp. The tiny regular
lamp out shines them all. IMHO LED's are bright to look at but do not put
out much light. Is it a fad thing right now or are the lights just being
used for everything right now and eventually they will only be used for stop
lights?
What do you find them useful for?

I have the same head-light, and I find it to be one of the most useful
lights I own. The red is perfect for not destroying my night vision,
though it could be a tad less bright, and still serve the purpose.

The white LED setting is perfect for those times when I go outside for
a few chores at night. Around here, if there's no moon, you can't find
your bum with both hands, and the white LEDs are more than enough to
keep me from tripping over things.

The same setting is also good for working under sinks or for putting
up shelves in a closet, or whatever. I got the unit over two years
ago, use it a LOT, and have yet to replace the batteries.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

David wrote:
: After seeing something recently about adding a small light to a router
: (maybe David Marks' show??), I got to thinking about attaching a small
: Mag-lite (2-AA cell) light to my PC router. There are two screw holes
: available for attaching the edge guide that I could utilize to quickly
: attach a holding bracket for the Mag-lite.

: Anyone ever run across an even smaller bright light suitable for such
: duty?

Lee Valley sells a clipon LED light, intended for use with their
magnifier eyeshade thingie. Small and bright.

-- Andy Barss.

Want a longer lasting light bulb Mel Home Repair 17 October 26th 05 02:25 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Inground spa light replac barry martin Home Repair 0 October 14th 04 12:30 AM