Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Delta 35-624 Saw Blade

I just bought a used RAS without a blade. I have been using an existing
Freud 60 tooth TS crosscut blade (D1060x), but Freud specifically says it is
for TS and CMS, not RAS. And for good reason, it does climb a bit.

I have seen a Delta 35-624, which is an 80 tooth blade for all types of
saws. It is very expensive (for me anyhow) but I can get it on clearance at
20% off.

Does Delta say it is for all types of saws because it is made differently
than my Freud blade, or is it because Delta just wants to sell it and
doesn't care that it isn't suitable for RAS?
Is it worth the high price?

It comes with 2 free sharpening. Is that practical, or is there a $30
handling charge?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Additional Information...

"Toller" wrote in message
I just bought a used RAS without a blade. I have been using an existing
Freud 60 tooth TS crosscut blade (D1060x), but Freud specifically says it
is for TS and CMS, not RAS. And for good reason, it does climb a bit.

I have seen a Delta 35-624, which is an 80 tooth blade for all types of
saws. It is very expensive (for me anyhow) but I can get it on clearance
at 20% off.

The Freud is a 15 degree hook, the Delta is a 10 degree. Is that enough to
make a difference? (Freud's blade for RAS is 7 degrees)
And is the Delta worth the price, and are the sharpenings for real. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:50:40 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just bought a used RAS without a blade. I have been using an existing
Freud 60 tooth TS crosscut blade (D1060x), but Freud specifically says it is
for TS and CMS, not RAS. And for good reason, it does climb a bit.

I have seen a Delta 35-624, which is an 80 tooth blade for all types of
saws. It is very expensive (for me anyhow) but I can get it on clearance at
20% off.

Does Delta say it is for all types of saws because it is made differently
than my Freud blade, or is it because Delta just wants to sell it and
doesn't care that it isn't suitable for RAS?
Is it worth the high price?

Not familiar with the number. Most often recommended for a RAS
primarily used for cross cuts is a TC&F tooth design with a negative
hook angle, -6 degrees or greater. The negative hook angle is to
control propensity to climb.

More than likely, the blade is either made by Leitz in Germany or by
Oldham in NC. You can tell the difference by whether it is laser
engraved (Leitz) or silk screened (Oldham). Both good quality, however
I'm partial to Leitz. But B & D may have shifted production to their
blade manufacturer in which case I have no relevant knowledge and
cannot offer an opinion.

It comes with 2 free sharpening. Is that practical, or is there a $30
handling charge?

Don't know. Ask your dealer, they should know. If it is Leitz
authorised sharpening center, that relationship may be somewhat
strained by the change in vendors.

Frank