Posted to rec.woodworking
Clifford Heath

Default Router - bad collets?

I weakened and bought a cheaper router than I should have,
thinking to fit it to a pin router frame I'm making. I know
I shouldn't have, so don't lecture me. It's a 1600W type
with 1/2" and 1/4" collets, rebranded Ozito from an Asian
mfgr (sold in Australia).

Anyhow, when I unpacked it and fitted a bit to the 1/2"
collet, I thought it seemed not to want to remain eccentric
as the collet was tightened. After 5 or 6 goes, measuring
the eccentricity with a digital vernier, I couldn't get it
less than 0.4mm...!!! unbelievable... it's all packed up in
the box unused, ready to go back to the shop tomorrow or the
next day.

What's the point of using a collet chuck if not to get a
perfectly tight concentric grip? I mean, if I want a 5mm
slot, and I get one that's 5.2 *at best*, the tool is simply
not of merchantable quality - and that's exactly what I'm
going to tell them... sigh. Occasional satisfaction with a
cheap brand has made me careless :-).

Does anyone want to tell me there's a ready source of quality
collets that might fit this otherwise well-featured machine?

Clifford Heath.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Clifford Heath" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Odds are the rest of it is just as bad; you just haven't discovered it yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Grit your teeth and buy a Makita. Happy New Year!.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Clifford Heath" wrote in message
. ..
I weakened and bought a cheaper router than I should have,
thinking to fit it to a pin router frame I'm making. I know
I shouldn't have, so don't lecture me. It's a 1600W type
with 1/2" and 1/4" collets, rebranded Ozito from an Asian
mfgr (sold in Australia).

Return it for the other Chinese manufactured brand sold in Australia, the
Triton. That is a better example of what the Chinese can do providing the
company they manufacture for calls for the tighter specifications.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Clifford Heath

Leon wrote:
Return it for the other Chinese manufactured brand sold in Australia, the
Triton. That is a better example of what the Chinese can do providing the
company they manufacture for calls for the tighter specifications.

Ouch! The Triton costs more than the top-line Makita and Bosch
routers... I exchanged the Ozito for a Maktek (made in China
by/for Makita with the Makita company name on it) after spending
90 minutes playing with the setup and checking things out. It
seems fine so far, though it would have been nice to have the
Ozito's soft start and dust collector. One good thing, the rods
for the guide jig are 12mm, up from the wimpy 8mm, which means I
can use them to mount the router in the pin router frame instead
of making a reinforced baseplate.

By the time I'd bought a set of bits too, it came out to only 3x
what I'd initially spent - Makita or Bosch would have been 4.5x.
Thanks for the advice all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stu

I bought a cheap router from MLCS and am happy with it. Free shipping
too.