Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Brubaker

Default Maximum Dust Collection ductwork for Jet 2HP

I am trying to plan my workshop and am stumped as to where I should put my
dust collector. I am thinking of buying a 2HP Jet system.

I am wondering what the maximum length of ductwork should be for a 2 HP
system hooked up to eight tools but with traps.

I know the answer to this question varies by many variables, such as the
type of ductwork, but I was wondering if there are any general known limits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tdup2

Don't worry about the length of duckwork. Most people only use one tool at a
time anyway all the other traps are shut. Even with two traps open there is
plenty of suction. Try to cut down on the flexible tubing used. PVC pipe
works well because it is smooth inside.

Tim

"Mark Brubaker" wrote in message
I am trying to plan my workshop and am stumped as to where I should put my
dust collector. I am thinking of buying a 2HP Jet system.

I am wondering what the maximum length of ductwork should be for a 2 HP
system hooked up to eight tools but with traps.

I know the answer to this question varies by many variables, such as the
type of ductwork, but I was wondering if there are any general known
limits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Mark Brubaker wrote:
I am trying to plan my workshop and am stumped as to where I should put my
dust collector. I am thinking of buying a 2HP Jet system.

I am wondering what the maximum length of ductwork should be for a 2 HP
system hooked up to eight tools but with traps.

I know the answer to this question varies by many variables, such as the
type of ductwork, but I was wondering if there are any general known limits.

Mark,
Have you found Bill Pentz's site? He'll give you quite an education.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

DonkeyHody
"Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
.. . . and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

You are right.. it varies, but a simple rule is to keep
the runs as straight as possible.

Ex: A run of 30' can be done along one wall with several
drops along the way.

A 2hp DC should provide plenty of pickup for just one tool
at time.

I had a similar arrangement at one time using a Delta 1.5hp
dc and it worked fine.

I would consider getting a "high performance bag" for the DC
if at all possible.

See these folks.... http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/bags_wood.htm