Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Chisels and Planes - DON'T TOUCH?!

Are you supposed to take extreme care not to touch the cast iron on
planes (ie. the soles) or the steel of chisels? I don't mean rubbing
your mud-smeared paws all over them, but simply picking them up and
putting them back in the tool cabinet, with clean, dry hands. Thanks.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 27 Dec 2005 18:47:19 -0800, "Jay Pique" wrote:

Are you supposed to take extreme care not to touch the cast iron on
planes (ie. the soles) or the steel of chisels? I don't mean rubbing
your mud-smeared paws all over them, but simply picking them up and
putting them back in the tool cabinet, with clean, dry hands. Thanks.

JP

Given that one often touches the steel and bodies when using the tools, I
don't know why that would be an issue. Just keep them well-waxed and
cared-for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are you supposed to take extreme care not to touch the cast iron on
planes (ie. the soles) or the steel of chisels? I don't mean rubbing
your mud-smeared paws all over them, but simply picking them up and
putting them back in the tool cabinet, with clean, dry hands. Thanks.

The secret is paste wax, but, in fact, if you don't touch the shiny parts
any more than is essential, it's, as Martha says, a good thing. What we
consider clean, dry hands, polished cast iron considers wet, salty and maybe
acidic.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are you supposed to take extreme care not to touch the cast iron on
planes (ie. the soles) or the steel of chisels? I don't mean rubbing
your mud-smeared paws all over them, but simply picking them up and
putting them back in the tool cabinet, with clean, dry hands. Thanks.

Don't leave your sweaty body acids on them. They'll etch. I do a wipe with
WD40 before putting them back on the shelf. Probably overkill, but keeps
them nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 27 Dec 2005 18:47:19 -0800, "Jay Pique" wrote:

Are you supposed to take extreme care not to touch the cast iron on
planes (ie. the soles) or the steel of chisels?

I don't bother about this, except in the height of summer when I'm
literally dripping sweat.

OTOH, I have a friend who once managed to etch fingerprints into the
chrome plate of a lathe's handwheels. We don't even let him handle the
titanium any more. BTW - he's a smoker.

chisels gregj Woodworking 66 August 9th 05 08:18 PM
Chisel Choices news.east.cox.net Woodworking 9 April 14th 05 07:11 AM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
steel suited for chisels Mike DeCourcey Woodworking 3 August 27th 03 10:16 PM