Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

Default fixing a table top

When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did
not have.

I have a bed table that is probably made from pine. I usually keep a
glass of water on it and a few spills have happened but I'm not sure if
that is the cause of the problem. The wood has begun to split and one
of the glue seams started to separate.

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet
of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something? What?

PS my wife still likes the cheap pine furniture so I dare not talk of
replacing or building new....at least not yet.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

william kossack wrote:

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple
stain for the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to
wedge a sheet of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the
cracks with something? What?

Don't try to fix the cracks. Don't fill them with anything and don't
pile on a thick finish as the finish will crack with the wood. Stain
as you wish and apply one or two thin coats of satin or semi-gloss
poly. Enjoy them as long as you can making mechanical repairs if
needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Hi William,
Either the wood was not dry enough to start with or the seasonal drying that
occurs this time of year is showing. The glass of water likely had little to do
with causing the problem.
Is the table made so that the top can shrink and expand with seasonal changes?
Or is it fixed to an apron? If it's fixed you are screwed. If it were me and the
top is allowed to float I would wait to see if the checking (cracks) get any
larger before trying any remedial action.
As to a fix, is the table already stained? JG

william kossack wrote:

When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did
not have.

I have a bed table that is probably made from pine. I usually keep a
glass of water on it and a few spills have happened but I'm not sure if
that is the cause of the problem. The wood has begun to split and one
of the glue seams started to separate.

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet
of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something? What?

PS my wife still likes the cheap pine furniture so I dare not talk of
replacing or building new....at least not yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

We stained the tables when we got them and then put maybe a coat or two
of clear finish on top (that was 7 years ago).

We actually purchased two of these bed tables my wifes table has not
cracked so she thinks it is my glasses of water

After we moved into the house I started my woodworking hobby and tool
accumulation (what is woodworking without the tool accumulation).

I keep telling myself that if I had a jointer I could do the same or
better on something made from hardwood instead of pine but first I need
to see what is under the tree for me on the 25th.

william kossack wrote:

When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did
not have.

I have a bed table that is probably made from pine. I usually keep a
glass of water on it and a few spills have happened but I'm not sure if
that is the cause of the problem. The wood has begun to split and one
of the glue seams started to separate.

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet
of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something? What?

PS my wife still likes the cheap pine furniture so I dare not talk of
replacing or building new....at least not yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"william kossack" wrote in message
When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did not
have.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh nooooooooooooo.!!!! you did not...
;~)

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet of
paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something? What?

IF you have a TS and can remove the top, cut down the crack into 2 pieces,
reglue and refinish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Roberts

If you can get to the underside of the table top you could try using the
pocket hole screw method to bring the seams back together.
Joe

"william kossack" wrote in message
When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did
not have.

I have a bed table that is probably made from pine. I usually keep a
glass of water on it and a few spills have happened but I'm not sure if
that is the cause of the problem. The wood has begun to split and one
of the glue seams started to separate.

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet
of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something?

What?

PS my wife still likes the cheap pine furniture so I dare not talk of
replacing or building new....at least not yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Joe Roberts wrote:
If you can get to the underside of the table top you could try using the
pocket hole screw method to bring the seams back together.
Joe

That doesn't help the long term solution. Most likely the top was
attached so that it couldn't expand and contract on it's own. If he
doesn't fix that, it'll most likely just crack again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Joe Roberts" wrote in message
If you can get to the underside of the table top you could try using the
pocket hole screw method to bring the seams back together.
Joe

Typically the screws will strip out while inserting or shortly there after.

Posted to rec.woodworking
william kossack

a quick second look at the cracks

one crack between glued pieces forming the top

a series of cracks inside a plank forming the top possible diagonally
crossing some of the grain but I'll need to look closer.

The cracks are actually near the center of the top. would cracks formed
because of movement against the sides of the table be in the center or
the ends?

As I said before this is before the woodworking hobby started. I had no
tools and little money for nicer furniture and after all the other
expense of buying a house and moving in we were glad to have something.
The old furniture was a real collection of odds and ends and my wife
wanted something that at least matched.

william kossack wrote:
When you moved into our house we purchased in a hurry furniture from an
unfinished furniture place to fill in the gaps of what we had and did
not have.

I have a bed table that is probably made from pine. I usually keep a
glass of water on it and a few spills have happened but I'm not sure if
that is the cause of the problem. The wood has begun to split and one
of the glue seams started to separate.

The question is how to fix the cracks. My wife picked a maple stain for
the tables. Right now the cracks are maybe big enough to wedge a sheet
of paper or two into. Should I try to fill the cracks with something?
What?

PS my wife still likes the cheap pine furniture so I dare not talk of
replacing or building new....at least not yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Another way to repair the table involves removing the top. If it isn't
fastened with screws to accomodate expansion changes, you found the
source of the splitting.
Once removed, use a table saw with a thin blade to cut the split joint
apart. Dress the joint with a sanding block and re-glue it.
Remount the top with figure eight washers to allow the top to expand
and contract without pulling the wood apart. Seal the joint/s with new
finish.
Bugs