Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it possible to find mortise chisels which *really* are imperial measure?

I know there are some who will find this question anal, and hell...I'm
not sure I'm not one of them myself.

I would like to acquire a good set of mortise chisels, but so far every
one I've found is sold as both metric and imperial.

Yes, they may market their chisels as imperial, but they are marked
metric as well, and a set of calipers says they actually _measure_
metrically.

Anyone who has any Robert Sorby chisels knows what I'm talking about.

Is there anyone out there who sells a registered 1/2" mortise chisel
that measures 12.7 mm? Or heaven forbid a 3/8" that measures 9.53 mm?

TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

I know there are some who will find this question anal, and hell...I'm
not sure I'm not one of them myself.

I would like to acquire a good set of mortise chisels, but so far every
one I've found is sold as both metric and imperial.

Yes, they may market their chisels as imperial, but they are marked
metric as well, and a set of calipers says they actually _measure_
metrically.

Anyone who has any Robert Sorby chisels knows what I'm talking about.

Is there anyone out there who sells a registered 1/2" mortise chisel
that measures 12.7 mm? Or heaven forbid a 3/8" that measures 9.53 mm?

TIA.

That's been my thoughts, I think the Henry Taylors do measure properly in inches.
I bought the set of four from Traditional Woodworker, a great price, sharpened
two of them very well, only to find the steel is rather poor. Didn't take much for
there to be a flat on the cutting edge so I sent them back. And this was after much
hype about them in this ng.

I have learned about Japanese chisels as being very easy to sharpen and that they
hold an edge really well because they make their steel masterfully, so I believe it
would be easy to simply buy one at a metric size that is just larger than any given
imperial (SAE?) size and use the 'scary sharp' way to carefully grind down the
sides to the desired size. Because of prices compared to quality these are the ones
I decided on but haven't done it yet:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...ry_Code=TBBCND
With all the comparisons I have done, this is the price. As well, for the same
general price range, Lie-Nielsens are sized imperial: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1291
These shoud be superb but take longer to sharpen as they are made of A-2 steel.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

wrote:

snip

Is there anyone out there who sells a registered 1/2" mortise chisel
that measures 12.7 mm? Or heaven forbid a 3/8" that measures 9.53 mm?

TIA.

Jim Wilson was making them, sold through Steve Knight's site. He
quit making them but I recall he'd started again. HIs mortise chisel
page is still up
http://www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/
check it out and perhaps ask/beg him to start makig and selling
them again. Beefy suckers. Get one started and not only does the
"cutting edge" cut wood, but the edges of the bevel at the sides of
the chisel cut as well. Yields nice clean sides on the mortises.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

Jim Wilson was making them, sold through Steve Knight's site. He
quit making them but I recall he'd started again. HIs mortise chisel
page is still up
http://www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/
check it out and perhaps ask/beg him to start makig and selling
them again. Beefy suckers. Get one started and not only does the
"cutting edge" cut wood, but the edges of the bevel at the sides of
the chisel cut as well. Yields nice clean sides on the mortises.

charlie b

DAMN..."beefy" is not the word! Those things look like the mother of
all mortise chisels!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the tips, everyone. The Lie-Nielsens aren't available for
another FOUR *&^% months unfortunately. But I wasn't aware of the HMGs
over at Hartville tool...I'll probably try one of those out first.

I appreciate all the help!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Thanks for the tips, everyone. The Lie-Nielsens aren't available for
another FOUR *&^% months unfortunately. But I wasn't aware of the HMGs
over at Hartville tool...I'll probably try one of those out first.

I appreciate all the help!!

I saw the page of them at Hartville, the sale of 5 in inch sizes for $109. At RC 61 and with
hornbeam handles (Hoffornbeam, european ironwood), serious good deal. I will consider
it myself, poor as I am, it's good til 01/10/06.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

how to measure air freshness in house? Larry Home Ownership 0 September 9th 05 12:23 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Chisels? Two Cherries? B a r r y Woodworking 26 April 3rd 04 12:46 AM
Who said Marples chisels are any good??? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 95 February 7th 04 07:57 AM
Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter....... Verdons Electronics Repair 9 July 19th 03 06:16 PM