Posted to rec.woodworking
SBO

Default How to remove ball bearings?

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings (circled in
red in the picture). I tried but it doesn't work. How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "SBO" wrote:
I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings (circled in
red in the picture). I tried but it doesn't work. How to remove it?

What picture?

Hint: this is a text-only newsgroup. Post pictures at
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"SBO" wrote in message
I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings (circled
in red in the picture). I tried but it doesn't work. How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

What picture? What did you try? I would use a punch like you do on wheel
bearings.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Jim wrote:
"SBO" wrote in message

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings (circled
in red in the picture). I tried but it doesn't work. How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

What picture? What did you try? I would use a punch like you do on wheel
bearings.
Jim

Huh? you mean wheel bearings like on an auto or
trailer? You don't use a punch, they fall out.
Might use a punch to remove a grease seal if you
don't plan on reusing it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Huh? you mean wheel bearings like on an auto or trailer? You don't use a
punch, they fall out. Might use a punch to remove a grease seal if you
don't plan on reusing it.

Then you are have only replaced 1/2 of the bearing. The race that comes
with the bearing has to be pressed in or out and should be replaced when the
bearing is replaced.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Leon wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Huh? you mean wheel bearings like on an auto or trailer? You don't use a
punch, they fall out. Might use a punch to remove a grease seal if you
don't plan on reusing it.

Then you are have only replaced 1/2 of the bearing. The race that comes
with the bearing has to be pressed in or out and should be replaced when the
bearing is replaced.

I guess it is the terminology. But when you
grease a wheel bearing you don't remove the race.
And when you replace a bearing, most sources also
caution you to replace the race. That caution
indicates that the race is separate. So is the
race a part of the bearing or is the cage and
rollers the bearing? Regardless of the
terminology, the unit to change in a saw is one
piece and in a car is two pieces, so there is a
considerable difference between a bearing for a
saw and a bearing for a wheel.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

I guess it is the terminology. But when you grease a wheel bearing you
don't remove the race.

Correct, and you are not replacing the bearing either. You are only
servicing it.

And when you replace a bearing, most sources also caution you to replace
the race.

Yes. Use every thing that comes in the the bearing box. The 2 pieces are a
matched set.

That caution
indicates that the race is separate.

Sometimes they are. 1 of the races is seperate. The inner race is a
permanent part of the bearing assembly. Rear wheel/axel bearings are often
all one piece with both races a permanent part of the bearing similar to the
one that the OP is asking about. It must be pressed off and on.

So is the
race a part of the bearing or is the cage and rollers the bearing?

Is the piston a part of the engine? Yes the race is a part of the bearing.
Front wheel bearings have, like most bearings, 2 races. One is permanently
attached to the bearing assembly, it rides on the spindle and the other is
press fit into the drum or rotor.

Regardless of the
terminology, the unit to change in a saw is one piece and in a car is two
pieces, so there is a considerable difference between a bearing for a saw
and a bearing for a wheel.

Typically the front wheel bearings on a rear wheel car are 2 piece. Front
wheel cars use 1 piece front wheel bearings. Rear axels on rear wheel drive
cars can have one piece or 2 piece. Rear axels on a front wheel car are
typically 1 piece. Almost always a serviceable bearing is 2 piece and
nonserviceable bearing is 1 piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBO

Oups !

The jointed picture was deleted. So, Here is my question again:

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings. It work
for the firts but doesn't work for the second one, circled in red at :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bourque.ass...o/Photo008.jpg
How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"SBO" wrote in message
Oups !

The jointed picture was deleted. So, Here is my question again:

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings. It work
for the firts but doesn't work for the second one, circled in red at :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bourque.ass...o/Photo008.jpg
How to remove it?

You need a bearing press to remove and safely reinstall the new one. Most
automotive repair shops and many auto supply stores have them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:36:09 -0500, "SBO" wrote:

Oups !

The jointed picture was deleted. So, Here is my question again:

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball bearings. It work
for the firts but doesn't work for the second one, circled in red at :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bourque.ass...o/Photo008.jpg
How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

WHat is the model number for your saw? Is that a Contractor II saw?

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

I suspect you are not applying enough force to move the bearing.
It looks like the bearing needs to get off by moving to the right
(I do NOT know this for sure). Trap the bearing on top of 2
hardwood scraps and rap the threaded end of the shaft while
protecting the threads with a wood scrap. Make sure you are
pressuring the bearing's inner race when working with the new
bearing. It should not matter on removing the old one.

There is a chance the old bearing had Loktite or similar which
would require mild heat to release. A healthy rap from a hammer
should move the bearing at least a little. WD 40 or similar can't
hurt and might assist in getting it moving.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"SBO" wrote in message
Oups !

The jointed picture was deleted. So, Here is my question again:

I have a Delta table saw and I need to replace the ball
bearings. It work for the firts but doesn't work for the second
one, circled in red at :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bourque.ass...o/Photo008.jpg
How to remove it?

Thank you !

S.B.

Posted to rec.woodworking
SBO

Default How to remove ball bearings? I DID IT !

Thank you to all. I have finally removed the bearings. The gentle way was
ineffective. So I used strength and everything is OK.

S.B.