Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default What to do with 4.5"x16"x16' spruce?

A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Toller,

Contact the local lumber monger and strike a deal.

Bob S.

"Toller" wrote in message
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years
ago and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just
wants me to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Bob S" wrote in message
Toller,

Contact the local lumber monger and strike a deal.

I went to the one good woodworking yard. He said they were probably pretty
valuable, but couldn't think of anyone locally who might want them.
I expect someone might buy them to cut into 2x4s, but they ought to be worth
more than that. Maybe not.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

Ever hear of the Spruce Goose?
The stuff could be quite valuable to someone who restores
antique aircraft. Finding that someone is another problem.

Art

"Toller" wrote in message ...
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Toller" wrote in message
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years
ago and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just
wants me to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Strange as it may sound - you might consider EBay. It's absolutely amazing
the things people are able to sell there. It sure can't hurt.

Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Wood Butcher" wrote:

Ever hear of the Spruce Goose?
The stuff could be quite valuable to someone who restores
antique aircraft. Finding that someone is another problem.

Art

I was thinking the same thing. "Aircraft grade" is very specific
regarding grain slope (1:15). I think they may have specifics on ring
density, but I didn't see it in a quick review. With that many pieces
that big, there could be a gold mine. Here is an excerpt from FAA's
AC43-13 guide for Aircraft Inspection and Repair:

1. Defects Permitted.
a. Cross grain. Spiral grain, diagonal grain, or a combination of the
two is acceptable providing the grain does
not diverge from the longitudinal axis of the material more than
specified in column 3. A check of all four faces of
the board is necessary to determine the amount of divergence. The
direction of free-flowing ink will frequently assist
in determining grain direction.
b. Wavy, curly, and interlocked grain. Acceptable, if local
irregularities do not exceed limitations specified for
spiral and diagonal grain.
c. Hard knots. Sound, hard knots up to 3/8 inch in maximum diameter
are acceptable providing: (1) they are
not projecting portions of I-beams, along the edges of rectangular or
beveled unrouted beams, or along the edges
of flanges of box beams (except in lowly stressed portions); (2) they
do not cause grain divergence at the edges
of the board or in the flanges of a beam more than specified in column
3; and (3) they are in the center third of the
beam and are not closer than 20 inches to another knot or other defect
(pertains to 3/8 inch knots—smaller knots
may be proportionately closer). Knots greater than 1/4 inch must be
used with caution.
d. Pin knot clusters. Small clusters are acceptable providing they
produce only a small effect on grain direction.
e. Pitch pockets. Acceptable in center portion of a beam providing
they are at least 14 inches apart when they
lie in the same growth ring and do not exceed 1-1/2 inches length by
1/8 inch width by 1/8 inch depth, and providing
they are not along the projecting portions of I-beams, along the edges
of rectangular or beveled unrouted beams, or
along the edges of the flanges of box beams.
f. Mineral streaks. Acceptable, providing careful inspection fails to
reveal any decay.

Two suppliers worth talking to are www.aircraftspruce.com and
www.wicksaircraft.com.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

--

I will give them a try. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Toller wrote:
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Is it qaurter-sawn or flat sawn? Fine grain or coarse grain? Lots of
knots or clear?

I'm wondering if there's some wood in there that would be useful for
guitar tops....

And where are you located?

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Stutzman

Toller wrote:
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

Aircraft wood is (normally) sitka spruce. Considering this is salvage
barn wood and is on the east coast, I doubt it it is sitka (which is
mostly a NW species).

If it is and it meets FAA requirements that other posters have given, it
is exceeding valuable. It it sitka and close to meeting the FAA
requirements, it would be very valuable to an amature aircraft builder
(homebuilt aircraft are not required to use FAA certified materials, but
is it is always a good idea).

If it is sitka, I can probably put you in contact with some builders who
love to give you good money for it. I would love to say I'd write you a
huge check for it, but I'm afraid shipping it out here to washington state
probably just isn't practical.

--

Frank Stutzman
Aircraft owner and wood butcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
[...]

The 2 lumber guys I showed it to shrugged their shoulders and said "spruce?"
I doubt many barns in Upstate NY were built with Sitka spruce, but thanks
anyhow.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Steve" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is
filthy; but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good.
It is straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years
ago and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just
wants me to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Is it qaurter-sawn or flat sawn? Fine grain or coarse grain? Lots of
knots or clear?

The one piece I looked at carefully is diagonal grain (neither flat nor
quarter). The grain is very fine. There aren't many knots, so in the whole
lot there ought to be large knot free sections. I expect that mixed in the
350lf there must be some flat and some quarter. I doubt a guitar top takes
very much lumber....

I'm wondering if there's some wood in there that would be useful for
guitar tops....

And where are you located?

Rochester NY

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI

Try a google search for a builder of Timber Frame Houses
in your local area.

Wood like that in a timber frame home would look fantastic.

Heavy Beam Wood, which I presume is now stable and dry,
at 16 inches wide, would be real nice in a Gothic Revival
Church doing a Timber Frame ceiling.

If you live somewhere near a Historical Village site, where
show off history trade and crafts, I am sure they would
love a donation of barn wood, which you could write
off on your taxes. Just think of the Scarf joints they
could cut.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Toller wrote:
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'.

snip

What kind of spruce? Spend a few bucks and find out.

If it is the right kind, can be used for airframes and masts for sail boats.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/15/2005 2:39 PM Toller mumbled something about the following:
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Oh man, that would make some good acoustic guitar tops (and a lot of
them. I'ld love to have just a 4 ft long section of something like that.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
JLarsson

Odinn wrote:
Oh man, that would make some good acoustic guitar tops (and a lot of
them. I'ld love to have just a 4 ft long section of something like that.

Most guitar tops are re-sawed from split billets - split, to follow the
grain and reduce runout. From a lumber-milled beam, it would be more
difficult to find sections without objectionable runout, even if
quarter-sawn, I would think. But in all that wood, there OUGHT to be
some nice top material. You just might have to examine a lot of it to
find the good stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/16/2005 12:24 AM JLarsson mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:
Oh man, that would make some good acoustic guitar tops (and a lot of
them. I'ld love to have just a 4 ft long section of something like that.

Most guitar tops are re-sawed from split billets - split, to follow the
grain and reduce runout. From a lumber-milled beam, it would be more
difficult to find sections without objectionable runout, even if
quarter-sawn, I would think. But in all that wood, there OUGHT to be
some nice top material. You just might have to examine a lot of it to
find the good stuff.

I didn't say it would make perfect guitar tops You're lucky if you
get any specific type of grain from mass produced guitars (although they
do try to use quarter sawn) and usually don't come from splits (usually
the practice of only handbuilts).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
James T. Kirby

Toller wrote:
"Bob S" wrote in message

Toller,

Contact the local lumber monger and strike a deal.

I went to the one good woodworking yard. He said they were probably pretty
valuable, but couldn't think of anyone locally who might want them.
I expect someone might buy them to cut into 2x4s, but they ought to be worth
more than that. Maybe not.

Are any of them well quartered relative to the wide dimension, or at least for 9"
or so? You could go into the guitar top business.

JK

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:39:16 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20 years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Anyone know if spruce turns/finishes well on a lathe??

If so, you could sell bowl blanks on Ebay for months..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W.

Got a price in mind?
I'd buy some to replace the floor in my FILs barn.
I have a trailer to p/u,

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

"Toller" wrote in message
A neighbor has a garage full of barn salvaged spruce; 25 pieces

measuring
4.5" x 16" x 16'. There are some nail holes on the sides and it is

filthy;
but two passes through my drum sander and it looks pretty good. It is
straight and flat.

She will be moving and doesn't want to take it with her. In fact she
doesn't want it at all; a boy friend talked her into buying it 20

years ago
and then disappeared. She doesn't care what I do with it, she just

wants me
to get rid of it for her.

I figure it has to have value; geez, I've never even seen wood that

size.
But who would buy it? Any ideas? (Rochester NY...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wood Butcher wrote:
Ever hear of the Spruce Goose?
The stuff could be quite valuable to someone who restores
antique aircraft. Finding that someone is another problem.

Sitka Spruce is the preferred spruce used for aircraft though
that is primarily because a lot of testing for aircraft use was
done back before WWII when it was cheap and plentiful. Those
beams may well be sitka spruce and quite possibly a Luthier
(wooden bodied sringed instrument maker) would be interested
as spruce is used for the front (srigned) face of violins and such,
as well as in guitars.

The "Spruce Goose" was mostly made of birch plywood, BTW.

--

FF