Posted to rec.woodworking
gilles

Default wooden hinges

doeanyone knows how to make smallwooden hinges i need smallhinges for my 18
wheeler back doors

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

gilles wrote:

doeanyone knows how to make smallwooden hinges i need smallhinges for my
18 wheeler back doors

I'd like to hear how too. But here's a jig that might help.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11495
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
TWS

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:39:30 GMT, evodawg
wrote:

gilles wrote:

doeanyone knows how to make smallwooden hinges i need smallhinges for my
18 wheeler back doors

I'd like to hear how too. But here's a jig that might help.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11495
Rich

Basically the hinge is a rounded over box joint with a hole drilled
down the center of the fingers for a hinge pin. The Incra
Hingecrafter (referenced above) keeps the pieces aligned and is a
drill guide so that you can accurately drill the hole for the hinge
pin. The incra guide will only make hinges out of 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, or
3/4 material. You can't make 1/4 inch thick hinges for example.

One word of warning. Make sure the hole is drilled thoroughly and you
clean out any bits of wood from the hinge before you try to pin it. I
would also wax the pin (and holes) with paste wax prior to pinning.

The brass pin is very soft and I had a devil of a time getting the pin
into a 9 inch hinge. I started with a 12 inch long brass pin and it
was 11 inches long but the time I got it seated. Where did the extra
inch go? Into the thickness of the pin and that hinge is extremely
hard to swing.

TWS
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:39:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
evodawg quickly quoth:

gilles wrote:

doeanyone knows how to make smallwooden hinges i need smallhinges for my
18 wheeler back doors

White oak or elm might be good. They're tough woods. But the constand
and heavy vibrations of an 18-wheeler might be a bit much for wood
hinges, gilles. If you do make wooden hinges, be sure to carry your
old metal hinges with you on the road, JIC.

I'd like to hear how too. But here's a jig that might help.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11495
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX

^^^^^
Y'mean "Rockler?"

but you can't make them THINK"

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications
Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

wrote:

gilles wrote:

[...]

On that website I referenced is a pdf how to on the jig. I looked at it and
it might help you without having to buy the jig. It looked very helpful and
included some home made jigs you may need to complete the hinge.

Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Larry Jaques wrote:

"you can lead them to LINUX

^^^^^
Y'mean "Rockler?"

but you can't make them THINK"

Ain't that the truth. I worked at Rockler a couple of years ago part time
and I had a guy come in and spent 10,000.00 and never touched a piece of
wood. Couple of weeks later he came back in and returned everything. His
wife made him return it all. Wonder who wears the pants in that family?

It was a good experience working there for a short time. I was able to get
some tools I needed at a great employee discount. I learned some folks have
more money than brains and spend all this money and never build anything. I
should have gotten their address and called them from time to time to ask,
are you selling your stuff yet?

Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX