Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

Default Band saw fence

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

The Jet fence came with my saw. Adequate, but that is about all I can say
for it. If you want to do a lot of resawing, especially on wide boards,
I'd look to buy or make something better.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:54:19 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

The Jet fence came with my saw. Adequate, but that is about all I can say
for it. If you want to do a lot of resawing, especially on wide boards,
I'd look to buy or make something better.

I've got the Jet that came with my 16" saw. I agree... just adequate.
I've added taller auxiliary slabs of 1/2" Melamine for resawing and
learned that out of the box I couldn't get the fence square to the
table. I had to do some fiddling to make it so. It ain't no
Biesemeyer, that's for sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Look at this guy's work... very nice and can be
adapted to about any saw currently built...

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/jigs.html

and one of the better web sites around. Ken is a
hell of a nice guy and will answer any questions.

Rick Samuel wrote:
Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:49:42 -0600, "Rick Samuel" wrote:

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

Build your own.. that way it's not only simple, cheap and effective, but it can
evolve as your needs and skills change without modifying an expensive fence..

I've borrowed several types of fences for resawing and general stuff, and the
one that cut best was 18" of straight 1" x 6" hardwood and a couple of clamps...
It's ridged, adjustable and gets out of your way when you're not cutting
straight lines..

Note: alignment of the fence to the blade path is much more important than the
brand of fence, IMHO.. without alignment, you'll be unhappy with any fence..

I use the redneck method: find a piece of scrap flat stock with at least 2
square sides...

Draw a line using the square edge down the middle of the stock...

Cut 1/2 way through the stock, following the line and turn the saw off, WITHOUT
moving the stock...

Draw a line on the table with a pencil along the side that's square to the cut..

Align your fence to this line, or measure the angle and set your fence to it..

YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Rick Samuel wrote:
Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

The fence on the King saw is the Toolex fence I guess -- it is OK. You
have to drill it to add high fences for ripping etc... Here is a link to
a picture of the fence.

http://nicks.ca/machacs.html

I have bought from Nick before...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Rick Samuel wrote:

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

At some point you're going to make a larger top
for you bandsaw. While you're at it you can
make your own fence. Here's enough info to
do it.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html

and, with a 3 tpi hook tooth blade, tensioned properly
and with the guides set right - you can make your own
1/16th inch veneer and bookmatched boards for cabinet
doors, drawer fronts etc. No one's come up with a
board stretcher yet - but resawing comes close. see
2nd & 3rd pics on this page

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ngCenter7.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

If you wish to buy one and not build one, definitely go for the Kreg fence.
it is very nice and fully adjustable to compensate for blade drift etc. I
previously used a clamped piece of wood as a fence but find the Kreg fence
quicker and simpler to use now.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Veritas (LV) Medium Shoulder Plane
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System
- Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update)
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

Posted to rec.woodworking
Layne

The Kreg fence used to be called Fasttrack and was sold by BS god Mark
Duginske. Kreg bought it. It's a nice fence and I'm thinking about
getting it myself. I like the micrometer adjustment.

Mule also makes a nice BS fence.

http://www.mulecab.com/

Layne

wrote:

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"Rick Samuel" writes:

Looking at Kreg's and Jet's fences. Anyone have knowledge of either or
both? Thanks

I bought the Kreg after comparing it to the FastTrack predecessor.
(The woodcraft store had both at the same time).

Some points:

You can adjust the fence for alignment two dimensions.
This is handy for resawing and compensating for saw drift.

You can flip the fence so that it works for a low cut.

You can add various attachments to the T-fence, like a
flip stop, the 4" or 7" resaw fence, micro-adjustor, etc.
Or make your own.

I re-drilled the mounting holes to make the fence more useful, as the
left side rail had a lot of useless space on my 14" Jet.

It is more expensive, but I think you won't outgrow it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Layne writes:

The Kreg fence used to be called Fasttrack and was sold by BS god Mark
Duginske. Kreg bought it.

And they made several improvements to it. See my other post.