Posted to rec.woodworking
Nobody_special

Default Need source of 18+ft boards (Teak , Oak, or Mahogany) in SW

I'm starting a project of rebuilding an old sailboat
that has wooden rails. While I could scarf shorter pieces,
I'd prefer to find long boards. The longest I need is just about
18ft long.

I'd prefer teak, but options include mahogany, oak, purpleheart, and
ash. (In varying order of preference).

I'm in the Phoenix area, but can travel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
--
Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Nobody_special wrote:
I'm starting a project of rebuilding an old sailboat
that has wooden rails. While I could scarf shorter pieces,
I'd prefer to find long boards. The longest I need is just about
18ft long.

I'd prefer teak, but options include mahogany, oak, purpleheart, and
ash. (In varying order of preference).

I'm in the Phoenix area, but can travel.

Any suggestions?

1) Forget anything but teak for cap rails.
2) Learn to scarf.

Trying to find 18 ft boards, much less bend them to shape ranks right up
there with wearing a hairshirt during your summer period.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Nobody_special wrote:
I'm starting a project of rebuilding an old sailboat
that has wooden rails. While I could scarf shorter pieces,
I'd prefer to find long boards. The longest I need is just about
18ft long.

I'd prefer teak, but options include mahogany, oak, purpleheart, and
ash. (In varying order of preference).

You won a lottery? Hope so, you'll need $$ or a 2nd mortgage if you can
find an 18' teak plank. Which is what you should use.

The first place I'd look would be Maurice Condon in (IIRC) White Plains,
NY. I don't think they have a web site. They specialize in lumber for
marine applications. Lots of it. Closer to you, check out marine
lumber suppliers and boat yards in Long Beach and San Diego. Let your
fingers do the walking...

Personally, I'd scarf.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

You might correspond with some of the marine museums, like Mystic Seaport re
suppliers.
Oak is plentiful if you are willing to take a log to a small mill or have a
portable mill come to you.
Wilson
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Nobody_special wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Nobody_special

dadiOH wrote:
Nobody_special wrote:

I'm starting a project of rebuilding an old sailboat
that has wooden rails. While I could scarf shorter pieces,
I'd prefer to find long boards. The longest I need is just about
18ft long.

I'd prefer teak, but options include mahogany, oak, purpleheart, and
ash. (In varying order of preference).

You won a lottery? Hope so, you'll need $$ or a 2nd mortgage if you can
find an 18' teak plank. Which is what you should use.

Arguably, yes. However, since this is for a Thistle
which laminates 4 pieces into a 3.5" wide rail and was historically
done with oak or mahogany, I can use any of the species listed. (actually,
I can legally use anything that's denser than the proper species of mahogany)

The first place I'd look would be Maurice Condon in (IIRC) White Plains,
NY. I don't think they have a web site. They specialize in lumber for
marine applications. Lots of it. Closer to you, check out marine
lumber suppliers and boat yards in Long Beach and San Diego. Let your
fingers do the walking...

That's about what I was expecting.

Personally, I'd scarf.

Which isn't really a problem to do, I just wanted to have the
one piece look. Especially on the outwhale (the laminate
goes 3 pieces inside, 1 piece outside).

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:49:36 -0700, Nobody_special wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Nobody_special wrote:

I'm starting a project of rebuilding an old sailboat
that has wooden rails. While I could scarf shorter pieces,
I'd prefer to find long boards. The longest I need is just about
18ft long.

I'd prefer teak, but options include mahogany, oak, purpleheart, and
ash. (In varying order of preference).

How about black walnut? I'd have to measure, but it's damn close to
18', rough sawn 4/4, maybe 8" wide. It's in Wisconsin, between
Milwaukee and madison, waiting for the right project.