Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

Default Kudos to Grizzly Customer Service

A few weeks ago I got my G0586 jointer. It was crated quite nicely, but
when I pried the lid off the coffin, I found that the plastic bag the
jointer was sealed in had a tear in it. There was moisture in the bag
and I saw rust under the plastic in a spot on the infeed table and also
the right end of the fence. The crate had no puncture damage, so the bag
was not damaged during shipment.

I immediately went and got my digital camera. I took a picture of the
plastic and rusty areas through the bag. Then, I unwrapped the plastic
and took several more photos. I then wiped the protective grease off,
taking more photos as I went.

When I got through cleaning, I found that the rust was contained in the
grease on the infeed table. Only a couple of spots of discoloration
remained. The fence did have some very minor pitting in the upper right
corner. I took a couple of final shots after cleaning the areas as best
I could.

Then, I sent an email to customer service, explaining what had happened
and attached several representative photos. I also told them I wasn't
interested in sending the whole unit back and asked for suggestions on
what to do about the pitting. I didn't what to proceed on my own and
then have no further recourse.

They phoned me the next day and said they were working on the issue and
gave me a phone number and ticket #.

Well, 3 days later a new fence showed up via UPS.

BTW, the old fence works great as a knife setting jig. It's heavy and
flat and does a great job of holding the knife even with the outfeed
table while you tighten it up

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me