Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Default Can anyone direct to a site that has these measurements

I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"bdeditch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

Grab a tape and measure a friend's cabinets. It worked for me 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Grab a tape and measure a friend's cabinets. It worked for me 25 years
ago.

I am sure that he would be really happy to dismantle his cabinet to get
measurements

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On 4 Dec 2005 20:49:45 -0800, "bdeditch" wrote:

Grab a tape and measure a friend's cabinets. It worked for me 25 years
ago.

I am sure that he would be really happy to dismantle his cabinet to get
measurements

Well, then take your tape measure to the Borg and measure one of THEIR cabinets. Oh, and be sure to
grab one of their free pencils on the way out.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article . com,
bdeditch wrote:
I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

*EVERYTHING* depends on the design of the cabinets.

Standard counter height is 36"
Standard depth of counter-top is 25-1/2" inches.
Standard depth of wall cabinets is around 11" (I dunno exactly, I've
*never* made 'standard' wall cabinets.

Generally, cabinet _width_ is in multiples of 6". with 30" and 36" being
the typical main sizes. Sometimes with an 24" or 18" unit thrown in to
make things 'come out right'

HOWEVER, the cabinets I just did for my kitchen remodel we
counter height 37" (I can put 1" 'appliance casters' under the stove, and
still have it at 'counter height' -- malice aforethought in the design
counter-top depth 31-1/2" inches
overhead cabinets were 49+" tall, 8" deep at bottom, 24" deep at top.
these overheads start barely 11" above the counter-top -- practical
*only* because of the extremely shallow cabinet depth as the base of
the overheads.

Somehow I don't think _my_ 'detailed measurements' would be of much use to
you. grin

If this isn't enough info for you, then you need to buy a book (with plans
in it) on the subject of 'making kitchen cabinets'.

Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

I went to HD measured the cabinets there, don't understand why you would
need to take anything apart. You could grab one of the americam wood mark
books from HD they have the measurements in the back of the book. There are
MANY ways to make the cabinet.
"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Grab a tape and measure a friend's cabinets. It worked for me 25 years
ago.

I am sure that he would be really happy to dismantle his cabinet to get
measurements

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

bdeditch wrote:
Grab a tape and measure a friend's cabinets. It worked for me 25
years ago.

I am sure that he would be really happy to dismantle his cabinet to
get measurements

He wouldn't have to. If you could't get the needed info from them - or
even without them - you'd best give up all hope of building cabinets.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On 4 Dec 2005 19:51:34 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "bdeditch"
quickly quoth:

I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

At your city library, find a copy of one or more of these books:

*"Cabinetmaking and Millwork" John Feirer *most detailed

"Cabinetmaking and Millwork" Alf Dahl

*"The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" James Krenov *best philosophy

"Cabinetmaking : from design to finish" Byron Maguire

"The complete book of woodworking and cabinetmaking" Byron Maguire

"Making Kitchen Cabinets" Paul Levine

"Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" Danny Proulx

"Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" Jere Cary

"Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" Jim Tolpin

"Cabinetmaking" Paul Haynie

"Cabinetry : the woodworkers guide to building professional-looking
cabinets and shelves" Rodale Press

"Making Cabinets & Built-ins" Sam Allen

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"bdeditch" wrote in message
I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

There is no such site to my knowledge. There are however industry
"standards" dimensions for _manufactured_ kitchen cabinets that are
generally followed closely by manufacturers, designers and buyers of
pre-built cabinets, cabinet parts, and applicances for spec/tract homes:

- Standard Base cabinets are 24" deep by 34 1/2" tall (without countertop)
- Standard Wall cabinets are 12" deep by 30" tall
- Standard cabinets width are in multiples of 3" (not 6" as mentioned
heretofore)
- 18" between the finished countertop and the bottom of the wall cabinet

For "custom" cabinet jobs, the most prevalent deviation from the above is
the height of the wall cabinets, which are usually made taller according to
the height of the ceilings in the home, or for design reasons. You don't
often find a radical departure from these dimensions due to problems with
resale, fitting of aftermarket parts like pantry racks, doors, drawer fronts
and slides, appliances, etc. ... but, as always, "custom" is as "custom"
does.

Specifically to your question above - The actual dimensions of the
individual components of each of the cabinets depends upon how they are
made, with many variations and methods of cabinetmaking to chose from. In
addition, some cabinets are made off-site as individual components/boxes,
then installed; while some are built-in to the existing walls/space on-site,
and not as individual components. There will be a world of difference
between the dimensions of the cabinet parts, as you can appreciate.

If you're just starting out building kitchen cabinets, you could do worse
than to check out John Paquay's site below and buy a copy of his little book
.... it is an excellent departure point for doing the job yourself, and will
actually answer your question precisely, provide you are using his method.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/byokc.html

That said, I do have an Excel spreadsheet that gives me precise dimensions
of each of the cabinet parts when I plug in the required dimension of the
cabinet, but it only works for the way _I_ build cabinets. IOW, once you
decide upon a method of cabinetmaking, you can then refine your tools to
make the job easier.

Until you reach that point, there is no way to answer your question
effectively.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

bdeditch wrote:

I would like to build some standard size kitchen Cabinets, the only
measurements that I seem to be able to find are the over all
dimensions. I am interested in a break down of the pieces that are
needed to make a 54" Wall cabinet, 24" Base cabinet, and a 24" Wall
cabinet. Any help would be grateful.

The Complete Cabinet Maker's Reference - Jeffrey Piontkowski
Popular Woodworking ISBN 1-55870-757-3 $29.99 US
255 pages, 3 ring bindered so it lays open flat. Has dimensions,
labeled exploded view diagrams, cut lists and cut layouts for:

base cabinets
without drawers
with drawers
sink base cabinets
vanity base cabinets
without drawers
with drawers
Vanity sink base cabinet
blind corner base cabinet
without drawers
with drawers
Lazy susan cabinets
24" tall wall cabinets
30' " " "
wall corner cabinets
24" tall blind corner wall cab
30" "
12" deep pantry cabs
24" "
dressers
nightstands
desk and file cabinets
entertainment centers
book cases
pencil drawers
counter tops & corbels
Also has a list of suppliers

This book should provide not only what
you asked for but a cut list and sheet
layout as well. If you're also wanting
4, 6 or 8 light cabinet doors and
the pretty, visible stuff - keep
looking.

charlie b
(who wishes he'd found this book BEFORE
he bought the other four, five or six books)

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

charlie b wrote:

The Complete Cabinet Maker's Reference - Jeffrey Piontkowski
Popular Woodworking ISBN 1-55870-757-3 $29.99 US

It costs $19.79 with free shipping from Amazon

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

David wrote:

It costs $19.79 with free shipping from Amazon

Dave

free shipping If the entire order totals $25+

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

David wrote:

It costs $19.79 with free shipping from Amazon

Dave

free shipping If the entire order totals $25+

Dave

Even better. The info in this book is worth
several times the "list price" of $30. At $20
it should be on anyone's bookshelf that plans
on making kitchen or bathroom cabinets.

BTW - it's not three ring bound but pseudo
spiral bound but still lays open flat.

(it's also printed and bound - in China)

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

I want to thank you for recommending this book I got it today and it is
charlie b wrote:
bdeditch wrote:

[...]

The Best Woodworking Web Site? Unisaw A100 Woodworking 18 March 6th 05 11:09 PM
NEMES New Web Site Errol Groff Metalworking 0 March 6th 05 07:44 PM
What is web site where I can enquire about phone masts, flood plain etc? Mike Mitchell UK diy 41 July 20th 04 01:15 PM
Watching this site OldRedNeck UK diy 3 October 21st 03 11:17 AM
Lighting Direct: A good company to do business with. parish UK diy 0 September 6th 03 09:35 PM