Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default 8 1/2" versus 12" sliders?

Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut
over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that
important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8
1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Toller" wrote in message
Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut
over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that
important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8
1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

I've never owned a 12" so can't really speak to their usefulness or lack
thereof. I just purchased the Makita LS1013 10" to put wood flooring down
with. So far, it's worked very well and I can't imagine why I would need
the extra size of a 12" (although everyone's neeeds are different of
course).
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Toller wrote:

Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut
over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that
important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8
1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

Take a look at the 10" Makita 1013. Even HD sells them and there is a
$50 rebate on them right now.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Fun and games at Amazon and Makita

"David" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I
cut over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all
that important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with
a 8 1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

Take a look at the 10" Makita 1013. Even HD sells them and there is a $50
rebate on them right now.

I happened to have the new Amazon circular on my lap when I read your note.
They have the 1013 fo 439.99, but no rebate; so I looked it up on the
website. No rebate there either, but it was 469.99! You get a $30 discount
for reading their circular.

I also looked it up at Makita.com. They do not show the promotion.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article , David
wrote:

Toller wrote:

Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut
over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that
important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8
1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

Take a look at the 10" Makita 1013. Even HD sells them and there is a
$50 rebate on them right now.

Dave

Amen to the 1013 Makita. It came tweaked-to-the-nuts out of the box along with a
free Makita 9/16" hammer drill.
I tested some crown inside and out mitres (6"-45 )cutting them flat using the
tables listed in the manual and verifying them with the Bosch digital protractor
( a MUST have for anybody doing trim, IMHO..it's just too easy and accurate.

I had an 92.35-degree inside mitre to do. Looked up my manual, set it up,
followed the pictures. First try. I was so happy I giggled like a school-girl.

That is a nice saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"
I happened to have the new Amazon circular on my lap when I read your
note. They have the 1013 fo 439.99, but no rebate; so I looked it up on
the website. No rebate there either, but it was 469.99! You get a $30
discount for reading their circular.

I also looked it up at Makita.com. They do not show the promotion.

If you don't mind reconditioned, http://www.tylertool.com/malsre.html

I bought mine from them and I'm convinced it was a brand new unit.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug

Read an article recently, after I bought a 12" Dewalt compound miter
saw which said that the larger blade can reduce accuracy. i.e. it's
harder to make a truly "true" 12' blade run true! Makes sense I
guess. Certainly it depends on your working tolerances.

Toller wrote:
Obviously the 12" will handle thicker stuff, but is there any other
advantage to a 12"?
Space is my primary concern, but pricing is important also. I think I cut
over 2" on my 12" CMS once in the last 2 years; so capacity isn't all that
important. (however, going from 8" wide with my 12" CMS to 12" with a 8
1/2" SCMS would be darn nice.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Not at all true. It's just as likely that a small blade will have runout as
a large one. Doesn't matter if the thing is wobbling 1/4". It still has the
same center of rotation. Only difference will be the kerf width. Ever used a
wobble dado? Serious runout. You may not like the quality of the finished
dado but it will be where you want it, cut after cut.

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Read an article recently, after I bought a 12" Dewalt compound miter
saw which said that the larger blade can reduce accuracy. i.e. it's
harder to make a truly "true" 12' blade run true! Makes sense I
guess. Certainly it depends on your working tolerances.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

CW wrote:

Not at all true. It's just as likely that a small blade will have runout as
a large one. Doesn't matter if the thing is wobbling 1/4". It still has the
same center of rotation. Only difference will be the kerf width. Ever used a
wobble dado? Serious runout. You may not like the quality of the finished
dado but it will be where you want it, cut after cut.

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

Read an article recently, after I bought a 12" Dewalt compound miter
saw which said that the larger blade can reduce accuracy. i.e. it's
harder to make a truly "true" 12' blade run true! Makes sense I
guess. Certainly it depends on your working tolerances.

I agree with you. I just got a Makita 1214L and I'm blown away by both
the accuracy and the smoothness of the cuts. The cuts are so smooth
they seem as if they were gone over with a plane.

Dave