Posted to rec.woodworking
JES

Default Which router, Hitachi M12V or Makita 3612C ?

Trying to decide which router to get for my table (Veritas table/router
jack).
I have narrowed it down to these two:

Hitachi M12V
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

Makita 3612C
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TF8&v=glanc e

Any comments about these two routers? What's the best choice, pros and cons?
Ease of changing bits when its in a table? Plunge depth?
Can bits be changed from the top of the table?

The reviews on amazon.com looks good for both...

JES
Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"JES" wrote in message
Trying to decide which router to get for my table (Veritas table/router
jack).
I have narrowed it down to these two:

I've got an older model Makita (3612BR). I've had it close to 15 years and
it still works like a champ. I've used it mounted in one of the wings of my
tablesaw and also freehand on occasion. I'd buy another one in a second.
Can't comment on the Hitachi, no experience with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
A Lurker

JES wrote in
:

Trying to decide which router to get for my table (Veritas
table/router jack).
I have narrowed it down to these two:

Hitachi M12V
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...703108?v=glanc
e&n=228013&n=507846&s=hi&v=glance

snip

I have the M1V in the Veritas table. I am very happy with both and the
Hitachi is a real brute and worth the price. There are some slight
problems you should be aware of. Although the Veritas mounting system is
really slick for quick install/uninstall, the Hitachi base is tight and
cluttered so finding a mounting postion is not as simple as one might
think. If you get it mounted slightly off position you can get some
"random height adjustment" from the table mounts (not the router)
DAMHIKT.

I use the auxillary height adjust knob from under the table for
adjustment and that works well, except you must keep the plunge posts
with a slight lube or in will bind and not go down easily. Reaching in
for the lock is also cluttered. I would love to hear how the bit jack
works with it. Please post if you or someone else uses this combo.

Only real issue that came up was using the Hitachi/Veritas combo with a
big panel raising bit. Because the table is so thin, for one project I
couldn't lower the blade far enough without hitting the cast "wings" on
the Hitachi base. These are for the adapter that holds the guide bushings
when needed. I read the answer is to cut these off if the router is to be
used regularly in a table. I didn't, just mounted an auxillary table of
1/4" plywood above it and problem solved.

Real happy with the Hitachi but it is big and heavy. I was using it both
in and out of the table, but I couldn't pass up the Bosch router kit at
Costco recently, so it looks like the Hitachi will be table bound.

Hope these comments help you evaluate the Hitachi, can't help with the
other.

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking
JES

A Lurker wrote:

Real happy with the Hitachi but it is big and heavy. I was using it both
in and out of the table, but I couldn't pass up the Bosch router kit at
Costco recently, so it looks like the Hitachi will be table bound.

Hope these comments help you evaluate the Hitachi, can't help with the
other.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably go for the Hitachi. Price being
the deciding factor...

JES