Posted to rec.woodworking
Magda

Default Old Shellac leaching problem

Hello,

My question pertains to stains, primers, sealers, etc.

I "rescue" old pieces of furniture, spice racks, coat racks etc. and
give them new life as painted works of art with acrylic artists
paints. These are not antique pieces and most of them are discards
from flea markets, etc. I have an old coffee table which I need to
prime before painting it.

It appears that this piece has a brownish shellac finish and through
it's lifetime has had the top sanded down and subsequently pen and
marker graffiti written on it. The sides and legs are not sanded.
Since I am not attempting to preserve a quality piece of furniture,
priming over all manner of nastiness is the preferred method.

As a primer I applied a coat of Zinssers Primer Sealer Stain-Killer
Bulls Eye 1-2-3 to the entire table. It has worked wonders on past
projects - metal or wood. The sides and legs - which have not been
previously sanded - turned out fine. The previously sanded top
started to leach through brown stains in several places. I applied a
second coat of Zinssers and when dry, the leaching continued. I
applied methyl hydrate (denature alcohol) to the dry, painted surface
and sure enough the brown stains started to run through again. The
primer was fine. After wiping off the brown drips and reapplying
the methyl hydrate several times, it seems evident that there is no
end to the amount of brown leaching coming through.

As I will be undoubtedly coming across other similar old pieces, is
there a way to seal, deactivate, prime or in some way neutralize the
old shellac before starting to prime? Is there something I can do to
this already primed piece which will eliminate the brown leaching?
Would a coat or 3 of varethane be an effective sealer - after which I
can put more primer on top of the varethane?

Thank you for any insite.

Magda

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Magda" wrote in message
[...]

Shellac is dissolved by alcohol. Even old shellac is vulnerable. Putting
shellac on shellac just makes a mix of old and new. If that's not what you
want - old dirt in fresh shellac, get the old stuff cleaned off with alcohol
before you try again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

As I will be undoubtedly coming across other similar old pieces, is
there a way to seal, deactivate, prime or in some way neutralize the
old shellac before starting to prime? Is there something I can do to
this already primed piece which will eliminate the brown leaching?
Would a coat or 3 of varethane be an effective sealer - after which I
can put more primer on top of the varethane?

One of the beauties of shellac is that almost everyting adheres to it.
That's why it's often used as a sealer before overcoating. Overcoat it
with something (varnish, poly, even latex paint, whatever) that your
acrylics adhere to well, then paint on! One or two overcoats at most
should do it.

Regards.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Magda

That's exactly what I did with the Zinsser's Bulls Eye Primer. After
the first coat had dried brown areas leached up through it. They look
like bad tea or tobacco stains. The same thing happened after the
second coat. When I put methyl hydrate on the stains, they became
wet and I was able to wipe off some brown, wet stain off the
surface.... but the main stain stayed.

The legs of the table - which were not sanded originally - did not
leach brown through and are ready to be painted with acrylic.

Maybe it's not shellac? If not, what else could it be?

Magda

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Boyd

"Magda" wrote in message
That's exactly what I did with the Zinsser's Bulls Eye Primer. After
the first coat had dried brown areas leached up through it. They look
like bad tea or tobacco stains. The same thing happened after the
second coat. When I put methyl hydrate on the stains, they became
wet and I was able to wipe off some brown, wet stain off the
surface.... but the main stain stayed.

The legs of the table - which were not sanded originally - did not
leach brown through and are ready to be painted with acrylic.

Maybe it's not shellac? If not, what else could it be?

Magda

Try using shellac to cover one of the areas where the stain came through.
After the shellac dries, try repriming that area and see if the stain comes
back. I have always used shellac to prevent bleed-through and had good
experience with it.

Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Have read suggestion to lightly spray dewaxed shellac and allow to
dry. Seems a thin coat doesn't dissolve the previous enough to let
the stain migrate up into the topcoat. Care in applying subsequent
coats is needed also. Worth a try.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:21:23 -0500, "Bruce Boyd"
wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Magda

After listening to various opinions on this topic....both here and
elsewhere, it would appear that shellac is my friend -
go figure. It would also appear that the staining coming up through
the (non-shellac) Bulls Eye primer may in fact NOT be shellac, since
shellac is not dissolved by waterbased products. argh.

Sooooo..... live and learn and experiment. Short of going backwards a
number of steps and sanding - would a couple of coats of
varathane form enough of a barrier against the alien leaching? I
could then prime on top of the varathane. (waterbased varathane in
fact is very acrylic paint friendly).

(thinking of switching to origami)

Thanks

M.