Posted to rec.woodworking
Stanley

Default Tormek Supergrind problem.

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Stanley" wrote in message
Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

I wonder if it is the motor or the switch that is the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

I have an ancient buffer motor with the same problem. Rather than fix the
problem, I start the motor manually in whichever direction is best for the
job at hand. If you really want to fix it, a trip to any motor shop is in
order.
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:36:53 GMT, "Stanley" wrote:

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

One of the windings in the motor has a break in the wire. The reason
it still runs after rotating the stone is that the remaining windings
are still good.

Get it to a motor shop for repair or just replace it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

"George Max" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:36:53 GMT, "Stanley" wrote:

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

One of the windings in the motor has a break in the wire. The reason
it still runs after rotating the stone is that the remaining windings
are still good.

Get it to a motor shop for repair or just replace it.

Is it possible that this is just the Cap that is toast??

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:33:54 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:36:53 GMT, "Stanley" wrote:

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

One of the windings in the motor has a break in the wire. The reason
it still runs after rotating the stone is that the remaining windings
are still good.

Get it to a motor shop for repair or just replace it.

Is it possible that this is just the Cap that is toast??

Doug

Well, that's certainly possible and may be an option to consider. My
experience with my companies product has been most often the windings.
It's our cross to bear when we deal with armature issues.
Posted to rec.woodworking
RzB

From the Tormek web site www.tormek.se

For technical issues you are welcome to
contact us and we will reply to you as
soon as possible.

TORMEK AB
Box 152
SE-711 23 Lindesberg
Sweden
Tel: +46 581-147 90
Fax: +46 581-109 30
E-mail:

I have found them to be very helpful...

BriMarc are the UK distributors but my
advice would be to go directly to the
email or phone address above...

Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:36:53 GMT, "Stanley" wrote:

Help. My Tormek's throwing a wobbler!

When I switch it on it doesn't start without starting the rotation of the
wheel manually.

I have taken the main drive shaft out but the motor won't self start even
without any load on it. Interestingly it will go either direction which I
didn't know before.

Anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you sort it?

Anyone know a UK helpline number?

classic symptoms of capacitor failure.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Limey Lurker

classic symptoms of capacitor failure.

Yep!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stanley

Thanks for your suggestions folks.

As the cheapest option I've ordered a £3 capacitor to see if that sorts it
and I'll carry on from there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone changed the capacitor? Any problems/hints?