Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Willemin

Default Finish for a scented candle rack?

A friend of mine is in the business of making and selling scented candles
(www.chrissyscandlecove.com) She is just getting started with the local
craft show circuit, and over dinner the other night we discussed making
some display racks for her stock (she is presently using cheapo cardboard
holders much like egg cartons). Anyhow, I offered to whip up a prototype
display rack for her - the candles sit in holes in 1/4" poplar shelves. I
intend to stain it (Minwax dark walnut). The question is this: Will a few
coats of polyurethane seal the wood against contamination by the scented
oils in the candles? Her present cardboard holders are all stained and
oily from one show. All advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--

Jim
"Value nothing but truth, compassion, and love."
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
. 97.142...
A friend of mine is in the business of making and selling scented candles
(www.chrissyscandlecove.com) She is just getting started with the local
craft show circuit, and over dinner the other night we discussed making
some display racks for her stock (she is presently using cheapo cardboard
holders much like egg cartons). Anyhow, I offered to whip up a prototype
display rack for her - the candles sit in holes in 1/4" poplar shelves. I
intend to stain it (Minwax dark walnut). The question is this: Will a few
coats of polyurethane seal the wood against contamination by the scented
oils in the candles? Her present cardboard holders are all stained and
oily from one show. All advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is hard to say what may or may not ooouuzzz out and stain the finish or
dissolve the finish.
What if you make the racks and sell her square wooden candle bases to be
sold with the candles? That would eliminate the worry of the candle
staining the rack.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Amused

[...]

Probably not. But, if you're going to worry about it, wrap the candle bases
in aluminum foil.

James...
I'd be more worried about a candle burning down too far, myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:22:25 -0600, Jim Willemin
wrote:

Will a few
coats of polyurethane seal the wood against contamination by the scented
oils in the candles?

it'l seal against scented wax, but not against charring from the flame.

Candle holders should be metal or glass, not wood. Otherwise a candle
chars the holder when it burns out. You'd have to have an unlucky
combination of circumstances to make this a fire hazard, but it looks
bad.

I use 22mm copper pipe end caps as candle holders.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Won't the heat make them prone to oxidation?

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
rack and pinion Allan Adler Metalworking 77 December 17th 04 06:22 PM
Textured finish for sub-bass cabinet Neil Jowsey UK diy 5 July 20th 04 07:23 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
satin finish on Stainless steel radiator... Jon Nicoll UK diy 1 April 4th 04 09:32 PM