TH

Default Pocket hole screws

I am planning to build a built in set of drawers using melamine MDF panels.
Is this material suitable for use with the Kreg pocket hole system?

Tom

David

TH wrote:

I am planning to build a built in set of drawers using melamine MDF panels.
Is this material suitable for use with the Kreg pocket hole system?

Tom

Confirmat screws are used with Melamine, Tom. You need a pricy drill
bit. Pocket hole screws won't hold well like the Confirmats.

Dave
CW

Yes. Glue the joint and use course screws and the wood will break before the
joint does. Yes, I have done this. My favorite method for this kind of
construction uses biscuits with pocket screw between them. No sliding when
you screw them together and seriously strong joints. If you don't have a
biscuit joiner though, the screws alone will do the job.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am planning to build a built in set of drawers using melamine MDF

panels.
Is this material suitable for use with the Kreg pocket hole system?

Tom

B Man

I've had blow outs using MDF with the Kreg Jig and their screws. I too was
skeptical, and used some off cuts first (thankfully) and ended up going with
biscuits. Of course, perhaps it was me just tightening too much, but I did
it the same way I always used my Kreg Jig.

Brian

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
Yes. Glue the joint and use course screws and the wood will break before
the
joint does. Yes, I have done this. My favorite method for this kind of
construction uses biscuits with pocket screw between them. No sliding when
you screw them together and seriously strong joints. If you don't have a
biscuit joiner though, the screws alone will do the job.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am planning to build a built in set of drawers using melamine MDF

panels.
Is this material suitable for use with the Kreg pocket hole system?

Tom

Works better with the made for MDF Confirmat screws and forget the
pocket holes, butt up the panels and pre-drill and use the right
fasteners

John

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:49:33 GMT, "TH" wrote:

I am planning to build a built in set of drawers using melamine MDF panels.
Is this material suitable for use with the Kreg pocket hole system?

Tom

NorthIdahoWWer

I worked several months in a shop manufacturing motel room furniture. We
used pocket screws with plastic dowels for alignment. Just don't
overtighten the screws or you'll either end up blowing out the pocket hole
or coming through the other side of the other panel. Glue's probably a good
idea as well.

WIll

ink.net...