Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Seawulf

Default Grizzly G0500 8" Jointer on 220/20A circuit

I jut received my G0500. It is pre-wired for 220V and the 2HP motor
pulls 12A at that voltage.

Currently (no pun intended) the main tools in my shop are a 2 1/2 HP
Bandsaw and a 3HP table saw. I am a one-man shop and have no need for
the bandsaw and table saw to be running simultaneously. So, they both
run on a single 220V 20A 'dedicated' circuit. Neither tool manual
suggested a maximum CB amperage.

The Grizzly manual is very specific about running the Jointer on a (220)
15A circuit because "circuit breakers rated any higher are not adequate
to protect the circuit." Earlier in the same paragraph, though, they
talk about "...the following guidelines when choosing a circuit
breaker." So, guidelines or edicts?

I had planned on using the same 20A circuit for the jointer. If it
pulls 12A under normal conditions, placing it on a 15A circuit seems to
be hoping for the best. The internal wiring from the starter and switch
on the jointer are 14 gauge. It appears to me from other sources that
14 gauge can easily handle 20A. I don't know about the other
components, though.

I am reluctant to disreguard a manufacturer's guidance. I suppose I
will check with Grizzly support for their answer, but I am curious about
how the rec feels about this question.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie