Charlie Self

Default Grizzly G0500 8" Jointer on 220/20A circuit

wrote:
That's very interesting, considering I've got the G0586, which is
supposed to be the replacement for the 500, and the spec says it pulls
12A at 220V and that it's a 2HP motor, and recommends a 20A fuse.

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...s/G0586_ds.pdf

Start-up surge on that motor is going to surpass 15A by quite a lot.
With a new breaker, it should be fine at 15A. But if you have an old
breaker, or a motor with a higher than usual starting surge, whoops!
Grizzly made this sort of a recommendation for a bit, wanting smaller
breakers than most other makers recommended, to protect the tool, or so
the manuals said. The breaker is not there to protect the tool, but to
protect the circuit, and the house/shop/garage from the results of an
electrical surge massive enough to melt cable insulation.

I'd go with 20A. The only 230 volt circuits I have in my shop are 30A
(well, that's not true: the furnace is 60A). Anyway, never a problem
running 12 amp tools on them.