Default FS: Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut in Kentuckiana

I have a friend that has a bunch of wood that he milled from trees he
felled on his property.

Much he's going to use for his cabin, but he has more than he can use.
I told him I would post it on this board (forgive the pun) to see if
anyone is interested in relieving him of his growing stock.

He has a BUNCH of quarter sawn white, red, and burr (sp?) oak cut in 1
inch boards. It varies in width from 4 to 10 inches. I think most of
it is in the 6-8 inch range. It is kiln dried. He wants $5 a board
foot (1 inch by 12 inches by 12 inches). So, for a 6 inch wide board
it would be $2.50 a linear foot. He has 2 stacks about 5 feet tall, 3
ft deep and 8 ft long. There are 1 inch stickers in between the
boards, so figure each stack is 2.5 ft tall if stacked without air
gaps.

2 nights ago I helped him stack some plane sawn cherry he just cut with
some 1 inch boards at 14 inches wide! Some of it was cut in 2 inch
depth. There was also a bunch of walnut with some boards about 28
inches wide and 3 of those 2 inches deep. Beautiful stuff. This
stuff is fresh and would require some drying before it could be used.
He realizes this and would be willing to sell it for less. Most of
this stuff is 9-10 ft long I believe.

If you are within driving distance of Louisville, KY and interested,
let me know. If he can sell some of this stuff, he's going to give me
some of that walnut, so don't be shy!

Jeff

Gary in Virginia

Default Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut in Kentuckiana

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

$5 bf for oak? Sounds about twice its worth around here.

I think he's willing to negotiate some. Checked some comparable areas
and he's not too far off: Supposedly, one guy bought some of his stuff
at $4/bf and turned around and sold it for $8/bf but I don't know how
accurate that story was what the situation may have been. I know my
buddy is honest as the day is long, but I don't know about the other
guy in the story.

Also, I don't know what grade this stuff is It looks like really good
stuff, but I'm not an expert by any means.

http://www.badgerwood.com/products.html

I'll mention that. He's not stuck on that amount. He just thought it
would go for that. If it only goes for $1 a bf he'll sell it for that.

Jeff

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:19:37 -0600, "Puff Griffis"
scribbled:

I thought the oak was quite steep in price. If I calculated it right it is
more than the BORG. Oak just does not cost that much in the Louisville area.
Puff

I just paid $6.95 Canadian (about $5.80 US) for perfectly clear and
straight S2S red oak *in the Yukon*, mostly 7 & 8-inch wide boards.
Excepting our Alaskan neighbours, that's as far as you can get in
North America from where red oak grows.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Logs for sale and sections shipped Eastern Red Cedar, White Oak, Cherry, hickory, walnut Matt Zach Woodworking 27 April 11th 13 10:56 PM
Cherry & birds-eye maple finish? Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 11 December 28th 04 05:27 AM
Cherry, Black Walnut, Oak, Grizzly Table Saw For Sale Chicago Dale McSwain Woodworking 0 July 26th 04 09:48 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM