Greg G.

Default Cutting small wedges for segmented vessels

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Thanks,

Greg G.
no(SPAM)vasys

Greg G. wrote:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Thanks,

Greg G.

A miter saw.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Greg G.

no(SPAM)vasys said:

Greg G. wrote:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

A miter saw.

I considered a manual box, but the one I have only cuts set angles,
and the thought of cutting 260 little pieces of oak and such with a
hand saw didn't appeal to me.

But I guess I didn't ask what was the EASIEST way, now did I. ;-)

CMS isn't really accurate enough, and even with a jig, that spinning
12" blade and a 1" wide piece of stock makes me a little nervous...
The tea rout is unacceptable as well - stock blade and I'm not ready
to spring on a Forest blade just yet. I just bought the blasted WWII.

Greg G.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:09:33 -0500, Greg wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Thanks,

Greg G.

you can do work of any accuracy with any tool.
what do you have, if not a table saw?

the less accurate the tool the more handwork you'll have to do to get
your parts good enough. at some point it is more accurate and faster
to not use a weak machine- just do it all with hand tools.
Dave Balderstone

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Cut a long triangular blank (like a Toblerone bar) on the table saw,
and then take slices off it on the band saw?

--
"I don't like dealing with people. I'd rather be back working in Human
Resources."

My wife, Oct 27 2005 after having to fill in at another department.
Greg G.

Dave Balderstone said:

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Cut a long triangular blank (like a Toblerone bar) on the table saw,
and then take slices off it on the band saw?

** very funny ***

You are either:

a) Joking

b) Didn't see the "without a table saw" part

c) Not familiar with turning segmented vessels.

Pick the appropriate choices...
(I'm just yanking your chain, Dave...)

OK - this went to the wrong group, so to make this PERFECTLY CLEAR...

I have 1" x 2-4" x 4' long oak and misc stock. I have to cut grain
matching wedges of wood into precise sections, so that when glued back
together, they form a precise circle. Many other 'disks' of these
things get glued together and flattened. The diameters increase or
decrease depending on their location. After the whole mess is glued
together, you turn it on a lathe. You get this:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/SegmentedBowl1.jpg

Does anyone have a realistic answer?
Or has the dim become so high and the name recognition so low, that
I'm wasting my time here? :-)

Greg G.
Greg G.

Greg G. said:

Or has the dim become so high and the name recognition so low, that
I'm wasting my time here? :-)

That should have been DIN, not dim. But now that I think about it...

Greg G.
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

If you truly want accuracy and pristine glue lines - then no saw will
give you what you're looking for. One of the best segmented turners in
the business, Curt Theobald http://www.curttheobald.com/ trues up
every piece of wood on his disk sander (after using a miter saw). Not
just holding it against the disk by hand, but with a jig that yields
repeatable results. Rent or buy his first video, "Introduction to
Segmented Turning",
http://www.curttheobald.com/store.html", $24.

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Dave Balderstone

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

b) Didn't see the "without a table saw" part

I saw that, but assumed you didn't want to cut with a table saw, not
that you didn't *have* a table saw.

My bad.

--
"I don't like dealing with people. I'd rather be back working in Human
Resources."

My wife, Oct 27 2005 after having to fill in at another department.

Greg G.

Fly-by-Night CC said:

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

If you truly want accuracy and pristine glue lines - then no saw will
give you what you're looking for. One of the best segmented turners in
the business, Curt Theobald http://www.curttheobald.com/ trues up
every piece of wood on his disk sander (after using a miter saw). Not
just holding it against the disk by hand, but with a jig that yields
repeatable results. Rent or buy his first video, "Introduction to
Segmented Turning",
http://www.curttheobald.com/store.html", $24.

Thanks, this is usable information.
Does he use a CMS, or cut by hand?
I was kinda hoping to do this over the next week, starting today.

I've been cutting with a tablesaw and homemade jig, but can't do that
at this moment in time. I've been looking at plate (disc) sanders,
but the one I considered fit a tablesaw arbor and the jig I had
envisioned rides in the miter slot. A lathe mounted dick would be OK,
but there is no way to clamp the jig reliably. Or I just haven't
thought up the right method...

As the librarian for one of the local chapters of the American
Association of Woodturners, I recommend this video as the number one
jumping off place for folks looking to get into segmenting.

I'll look into it, thanks.
Do ya loan out videos to strangers in GA?
I promise to mail it back the next day... ;-)

Greg G.
Lew Hodgett

Greg G. wrote:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

You can't get there from here.

How many segments make the 360 degree circle?

If perhaps 8, then make 7 pieces one size and use the 8th one to soak up
all the tolerance errors.

It's the best you will do.

Lew
CW

Hard to do without a table saw.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Greg G.
wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Cut a long triangular blank (like a Toblerone bar) on the table saw,
and then take slices off it on the band saw?

--
"I don't like dealing with people. I'd rather be back working in Human
Resources."

My wife, Oct 27 2005 after having to fill in at another department.

Greg G.

Dave Balderstone said:

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

b) Didn't see the "without a table saw" part

I saw that, but assumed you didn't want to cut with a table saw, not
that you didn't *have* a table saw.

Don't _even_ go there...

My bad.

The din in here interferes with comprehension.
You're forgiven... ;-)

Greg G.
DJ Delorie

Greg writes:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

You will not be able to make them accurate enough, no matter how good
your equipment. I got my incra 5000 to within a few thousanths over
18" and the accumulated error (remember, we're talking 12 segments =
24x magnification of any error) still left a gap.

The solution is to come up with a way to build the rings *without*
needing that kind of accuracy. For 12 segments, it's usually
sufficient to build two halves leaving the ends long, then trim or
sand them so that the ends are coplanar (which is easy to do
accurately enough) then glue the halves together.

For more segments, trimming quarter rings might be useful. If it were
me, I'd tape a printout of the segment wedges to my crosscut sled so
that I can line up the segment seams on the printout to keep the
segments approximately the same size. For half rings, I use a marking
knife to mark the four long ones based on one of the short ones, then
clamp it to the crosscut sled so that the marks line up with the edge.

Greg G.

Lew Hodgett said:

Greg G. wrote:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

You can't get there from here.

Sure you can. Just not without a table saw and a dick sander.

How many segments make the 360 degree circle?

It depends on the design, and whether or not they have thin strips of
veneer between them. I have a computer program and a special tablesaw
jig to cut precise angles for these things.

If perhaps 8, then make 7 pieces one size and use the 8th one to soak up
all the tolerance errors.

Won't work - they have to be precise so that the layers line up
correctly. You DO have to sand 180 segments sometimes to even them up
a bit before gluing.

It's the best you will do.

I hope not... ;-)

Greg G.
Greg G.

DJ Delorie said:

Greg writes:
Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

You will not be able to make them accurate enough, no matter how good
your equipment. I got my incra 5000 to within a few thousanths over
18" and the accumulated error (remember, we're talking 12 segments =
24x magnification of any error) still left a gap.

I built a special table saw jig for cutting them.
Works fine. Kind of like a large, accurate Dubby.

The solution is to come up with a way to build the rings *without*
needing that kind of accuracy. For 12 segments, it's usually
sufficient to build two halves leaving the ends long, then trim or
sand them so that the ends are coplanar (which is easy to do
accurately enough) then glue the halves together.

That's what I do, sand the 180 degree sections before final gluing.
I use a computer program to calculate the cuts.

For more segments, trimming quarter rings might be useful. If it were
me, I'd tape a printout of the segment wedges to my crosscut sled so
that I can line up the segment seams on the printout to keep the
segments approximately the same size. For half rings, I use a marking
knife to mark the four long ones based on one of the short ones, then
clamp it to the crosscut sled so that the marks line up with the edge.

But how do you cut them wi...
Oh, never mind...

Greg G.
George Max

I see you own a CMS. I think that's what I'd do. Forrest claims to
make a blade that yields a glassy smooth surface with one of those.

I've never gotten a surface good enough for glueing off my bandsaur.
Perhaps others have, but not me.

Or, cut them with the bandsaur and clean up with a disk sander.

Possibly cut them to rough size with a bandsaur then put each piece in
a jig to be trimmed with a router? I'm thinking some sort of template
with a ball bearing guided bit.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:09:33 -0500, Greg wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.

George Max said:

I see you own a CMS. I think that's what I'd do. Forrest claims to
make a blade that yields a glassy smooth surface with one of those.

Yea, but I just bought the WWII and hate to keep throwing money at
blades. Plus, it's a 12 incher, and they run about $150 AIR.

I've never gotten a surface good enough for glueing off my bandsaur.
Perhaps others have, but not me.

Me either. Looks good, but never _quite_ lines up right.

Or, cut them with the bandsaur and clean up with a disk sander.

This is the idea I'm toying with at this moment...
Owen Lowe got me thinking about it when he said 'sander'...

Possibly cut them to rough size with a bandsaur then put each piece in
a jig to be trimmed with a router? I'm thinking some sort of template
with a ball bearing guided bit.

Don't think I like the router idea, but the CMS or bandsaw with a jig,
and then a flat disk sander would prolly do it.

Thanks,

Greg G.
no(SPAM)vasys

Greg G. wrote:

Sure you can. Just not without a table saw and a dick sander.

It sounds painful!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Greg G.

no(SPAM)vasys said:

Greg G. wrote:

Sure you can. Just not without a table saw and a dick sander.

It sounds painful!

Whoops - BIG typo.

Yes, it sure does... :-)
Excruciatingly so.
So much so that I think I'm going to go watch TV for the next week.

Greg G.
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:18:28 -0500, Greg wrote:

Dave Balderstone said:

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

[...]

Just a thought. You said you have been working on a bandsaw jig, but the
precision isn't there yet. Do you have a quality hand plane? Would it be
possible to rough out the pieces using your bandsaw jig, then do the
precision fitting by using the handplane on adjoining sections
simultaneously?

Does anyone have a realistic answer?
Or has the dim become so high and the name recognition so low, that
I'm wasting my time here? :-)

Greg G.

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:12:42 -0500, Greg wrote:

no(SPAM)vasys said:

Greg G. wrote:

Sure you can. Just not without a table saw and a dick sander.

It sounds painful!

Whoops - BIG typo.

Umm, go back and look at the post where you were contemplating mounting
one on the lathe. You got a donor in mind? =:-O

Yes, it sure does... :-)
Excruciatingly so.
So much so that I think I'm going to go watch TV for the next week.

Greg G.

Greg G.

no(SPAM)vasys said:

Greg G. wrote:

Sure you can. Just not without a table saw and a dick sander.

It sounds painful!

Whoops - BIG typo.

Umm, go back and look at the post where you were contemplating mounting
one on the lathe. You got a donor in mind? =:-O

Must be advancing age - I can't type anymore...
But you're right - same mistake - same word. Hmmm....

Or it could be this cheap-#%$ keyboard...
If it turns off the "insert" key one more time...
I'm sending it back to

[POT]

China.

Greg G.
Greg G.

Mark & Juanita said:

Just a thought. You said you have been working on a bandsaw jig, but the
precision isn't there yet. Do you have a quality hand plane? Would it be
possible to rough out the pieces using your bandsaw jig, then do the
precision fitting by using the handplane on adjoining sections
simultaneously?

Hadn't thought about that one, but the differing angles and grain
direction would be tough for a plane. But Lee Valley _does_ have
that new variable (blade) angle plane... Ohh, Honey....

Sanding would probably be the way to go on this...
Probably the best control over what material gets removed...

I think the solution in this case is one of the following:

a) Come up with a platform disk sander with a bed and miter track jig.
b) Go to Sears (uggh) and find another tablesaw.
c) Drink copiously and forget about it all... ;-)

Thanks,

Greg G.

Battleax

"Greg G." wrote in message
Dave Balderstone said:

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Cut a long triangular blank (like a Toblerone bar) on the table saw,
and then take slices off it on the band saw?

** very funny ***

You are either:

a) Joking

b) Didn't see the "without a table saw" part

Well for crap's sake, you know perfectly well that a table saw is the tool
you need. Go and buy another table saw or don't do projects that require
one.
You've shot down every suggestion because you already know the answer.
What's the point?
Your first order of business is to get a table saw, not to figure out how to
do your work without your essential tool.

Greg G.

Battleax said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

a) Joking

b) Didn't see the "without a table saw" part

Well for crap's sake, you know perfectly well that a table saw is the tool
you need. Go and buy another table saw or don't do projects that require
one.

Yea, yea...
Sears, right. Not many other places to buy one around here -
especially on Saturday night/Sunday.

You've shot down every suggestion because you already know the answer.
What's the point?

The disk sander jig was a pretty good idea...
One that I will probably use WITH a T-saw in the future.

do your work without your essential tool.

I HAVE my _essential_ tool, thanks. ;-)

Greg G.
DJ Delorie

Greg writes:
I built a special table saw jig for cutting them.

I use the Incra. With the stop and the fairly rigid angle setting,
it's nearly perfect - I tried doing 12x regular sized and gluing them
up, but it always left a hairline opening somewhere. Truing halves
gets rid of that, but the accuracy of the Incra means the segments end
up all the same size.

Also, the incra happens to have that zero-clearance edge and T-slots
for doing the half-ring-trimming step.

I use a computer program to calculate the cuts.

I can one up you. I *wrote* a program to do that :-)
http://www.delorie.com/wood/segturn.html

But how do you cut them wi...

Idea: Mill a larger board, say a hardwood 2x4, with a routed slot on
top just wide enough for the width of your segment stock. Use it to
hold the stock while you cut it in the miter saw. Or, with a slot
deeper than your stock, you could clamp a straight board on top of it
at the right angle and use a dovetail saw to cut a thin slot, making a
custom precision miter box. I've done this for cutting tiny model
rocket parts.

You can even mill cross-slots for stops.
Greg G.

DJ Delorie said:

Greg writes:
I built a special table saw jig for cutting them.

I use the Incra. With the stop and the fairly rigid angle setting,
it's nearly perfect - I tried doing 12x regular sized and gluing them
up, but it always left a hairline opening somewhere. Truing halves
gets rid of that, but the accuracy of the Incra means the segments end
up all the same size.

Also, the incra happens to have that zero-clearance edge and T-slots
for doing the half-ring-trimming step.

That sounds pretty good. Except for the $260 price tag... :-o
I'm kind of a build it yourself kinda guy...
I could never get a crowbar that deep...

I use a computer program to calculate the cuts.

I can one up you. I *wrote* a program to do that :-)
http://www.delorie.com/wood/segturn.html

CGI script, eh? Can't see the inner workings of that from here. ;-)
I've written some stuff in C, ASM, VB, HTML, JAVA, but geometry was,
unfortunately, a long time ago. And programming was mostly a hobby...

Wrote the software for a PIC microcontroller based aquarium controller
years ago, but haven't messed much with it lately...
http://www.thevideodoc.com/preefs5.htm

But how do you cut them wi...

Idea: Mill a larger board, say a hardwood 2x4, with a routed slot on
top just wide enough for the width of your segment stock. Use it to
hold the stock while you cut it in the miter saw. Or, with a slot
deeper than your stock, you could clamp a straight board on top of it
at the right angle and use a dovetail saw to cut a thin slot, making a
custom precision miter box. I've done this for cutting tiny model
rocket parts.

I've been working out a plan, the ideas presented here got my
lethargic brain working somewhat.

Hmmm - model rockets. I have built a few of those in my younger days.
Spent weeks building them, painting them, and then losing them in
treetops... ;-)

There was a show on History Channel a month or so ago, I forgot the
name, that highlighted some of the model rocketeers in SoCA. Brought
back fond memories of Land Sharks, Scuds, and M-80s.

Sorry I didn't see your post till now - the general noise level in
here was a little high. But at least the 'IP troll' and his Caner
have seemingly departed.

Thanks, DJ

Greg G.

Leon

"Greg G." wrote in message

Anyone got a workable idea for cutting small wedges for segmented
turned vessels without a table saw? The cuts have to be 'very'
accurate, as the pieces get glued together into 'perfect' circles.

Thanks,

How about a BS and not so accurate cuts. Glue the pieces together until you
get a half circle, do that again, sand those 2 half circles flat and glue
them together.

Walt Conner

"The disk sander jig was a pretty good idea..."

Cutting the pcs. on a band saw then sanding them on a disc sander is OK,
draw the outline of the segment on the wood, being careful to align the
grain the right way, cut just outside the line, sand to the line on disc (or
belt) sander.

" Glue the pieces together until you get a half circle, do that again, sand
those 2 half circles flat and glue
them together. "

This is what I typically do reguardless of how I cut the segments to begin
with. The rec.crafts.woodturning forum might be a better place to ask this
question.

Walt Conner

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:11:52 -0500, Greg wrote:

Well for crap's sake, you know perfectly well that a table saw is the tool
you need. Go and buy another table saw or don't do projects that require
one.

Yea, yea...
Sears, right. Not many other places to buy one around here -
especially on Saturday night/Sunday.

at this point getting another searz saw sounds like giving up.

bite the bullet and get a general.
DJ Delorie

Greg writes:
CGI script, eh? Can't see the inner workings of that from here. ;-)

It's just perl.

Wrote the software for a PIC microcontroller based aquarium controller
years ago, but haven't messed much with it lately...

Designed motherboards and wrote BIOS codes for them in a previous job.
Work for Red Hat Inc at the moment. In my case, *woodworking* is the
hobby :-)

Hmmm - model rockets. I have built a few of those in my younger days.
Spent weeks building them, painting them, and then losing them in
treetops... ;-)

Me too, although since I like building them more than flying them, I
look at that as "making room to build more" :-)

Used to build RC airplanes too, but didn't like flying (or repairing)
them as much as building them.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article w4sbf.424218$1i.80820@pd7tw2no,
"Doug Schultz" wrote:

Couldnt you use your bandsaw and then straighten up with the Jointer???

Generally segments for turning are pretty small and short compared with
what's considered safe to run over a jointer.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
__________

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Greg G.

DJ Delorie said:

Greg writes:
CGI script, eh? Can't see the inner workings of that from here. ;-)

It's just perl.

DJ, You left out the 'a'. Both of them. g

Wrote the software for a PIC microcontroller based aquarium controller
years ago, but haven't messed much with it lately...

Designed motherboards and wrote BIOS codes for them in a previous job.
Work for Red Hat Inc at the moment. In my case, *woodworking* is the
hobby :-)

Designed/built a PC-slot peripheral that allowed connection of such
things as 16 port data acquisition, (E)EPROM & PIC programming, etc.
http://www.thevideodoc.com/pelectr2.htm

This was back a few years, and I had designs and partially completed
projects consisting of X-Y Gerber drilling machines and such.

But now you can get a set of proto-boards for $70 - one place even
gives away some reasonably good software for PCB design.

But to top it off, my dad can beat your dad - any day. bfg

If it's any consolation - they are BOTH hobbies for me now.
Got away from electronics due to the disposable nature of it all.
Nothing has any temporal value.
Went into software - Oh, Yeah, now that's a LOT better...

Red Hat - isn't that a free download? (I have an older copy.)
How DO you make money at that... g
How about Knoppix? Kinda neat to boot and run OS from a CD.

(And don't even get me started on open-source vs. Gates and Company.)
I want to run Apache, but our customers ALL use Windoze. So I have to
run it on our servers in order to troubleshoot their problems.
Many, many problems. Every SP release problems. Obscure, bizarre
problems. Problems that consume vast amounts of time... Arrggh!!!

Hmmm - model rockets. I have built a few of those in my younger days.
Spent weeks building them, painting them, and then losing them in
treetops... ;-)

Me too, although since I like building them more than flying them, I
look at that as "making room to build more" :-)

Used to build RC airplanes too, but didn't like flying (or repairing)
them as much as building them.

Got into the RC planes about the same time as I got a drivers license.
You can guess which one won out...
Hmm... toys... or cars, toys... or women, toys... or freedom.

I guess age gives you the ability to relive your childhood - your way.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Greg G.

Walt Conner said:

"The disk sander jig was a pretty good idea..."

Cutting the pcs. on a band saw then sanding them on a disc sander is OK,
draw the outline of the segment on the wood, being careful to align the
grain the right way, cut just outside the line, sand to the line on disc (or
belt) sander.

" Glue the pieces together until you get a half circle, do that again, sand
those 2 half circles flat and glue
them together. "

This is what I typically do reguardless of how I cut the segments to begin
with. The rec.crafts.woodturning forum might be a better place to ask this
question.

Thanks Walt.

And actually, I did. I posted it here first by mistake. Out of
habit. Wasn't paying attention. Pick one or all.

Greg G.