Mike Marlow

Default Table Saw Switches

What have folks been buying for new switches? I'm going to replace mine and
am curious what different ideas people have tried. I'll probably go with a
paddle for the obvious convenience.

--

-Mike-

Jack

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
What have folks been buying for new switches? I'm going to replace mine
and
am curious what different ideas people have tried. I'll probably go with
paddle for the obvious convenience.

--

-Mike-

I would get one with the magnetic dropout feature to ensure saw doesn't auto
restart when power comes back on after an electrical outage or resetting a
breaker after tripping.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mike Marlow wrote:
I became a believer in the mag switches after one time plugging in a table
saw and hearing the blade take off. No big event - nothing happened, but it
was a remarkable case for mag switches.

But are they available for 110V saws? I've never seen one (of course that
doesn't mean much).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

LRod

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:20:54 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

What have folks been buying for new switches? I'm going to replace mine and
am curious what different ideas people have tried. I'll probably go with a
paddle for the obvious convenience.

Check out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-Unisaw-Mag...QQcmdZViewItem

If that URL doesn't work search under auction # 7556909742

This is the same switch as on my Unisaw. I bought another one from
this guy. He is the OEM of the switch. The auction closes in about 11
hours from the time of this post, but it says he has 23 of them, so
even if it closes before you read this, it would be worthwhile
emailing him with a query.

He also makes the regular 2x4 handy box sized switches--red/green
on/off buttons--as seen on Delta bandsaws, drill presses, 15" planers,
and DJ20 jointers. Similar to the one Norm used on his router table. I
would email him and inquire about one of those if the mag switch is
too much for you.

He seems like a nice guy. We had several very pleasant email
exchanges.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Jack

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
I became a believer in the mag switches after one time plugging in a
table
saw and hearing the blade take off. No big event - nothing happened, but
it
was a remarkable case for mag switches.

But are they available for 110V saws? I've never seen one (of course that
doesn't mean much).

Don't know any specifics for the 110V TS but if a switch has a 120V coil it
should work even if its for a 3-phase, high voltage 10,000 hp motor.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Lew Hodgett

Mike Marlow wrote:

I became a believer in the mag switches after one time plugging in a

table
saw and hearing the blade take off. No big event - nothing happened, but it
was a remarkable case for mag switches.

If you are already comitted to a mag motor starter, then any standard
start-stop push button station will do a nice job.

Allen-Bradley, Cutler-Hammer, Furnas, GE, Square D, etc, take your pick.

Personally, I like a big (2-1/4" dia) red mushroom head stop button for
any machine tool application.

Lew

Bob G.

I would get one with the magnetic dropout feature to ensure saw doesn't auto
restart when power comes back on after an electrical outage or resetting a
breaker after tripping.

=============
Funny thing because I just got a magnetic switch yesterday for my
secondary tablesaw....(an old Rockwell/Delta)....

I was using the saw with a sled a couple of weeks ago when the power
went off just after I had finsihed cutting off a one inch piece of
scrap ... So I just walked away

A few minutes later the power came back on and that small scrap cutoff
scrap piece I left on the sled vibrated over and the blade caught
it...

SHOT that sucker across the shop ..... and it hit my left hand hard
enough to cut the skin... I was at least 15 foot from the saw
....SOB !

I just did not think to turn the saw off when the power went off...

The new Magnetic switch will be on the saw before the weekend...

Bob G.
Mike Marlow

"Bob G." wrote in message

Funny thing because I just got a magnetic switch yesterday for my
secondary tablesaw....(an old Rockwell/Delta)....

What'd you end up buying Bob? Price? Vendor?

--

-Mike-