stoutman

Default Correct Jointer Knife Bevel Angle?

What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Thanks

stoutman

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Thanks

One more thing...

Make a micro bevel or No micro bevel?? Optimum bevel angle for micro
bevel??

John Martin

stoutman wrote:
What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Thanks

It depends on your jointer. Different machines hold the knives at
different angles to the work. You need at least 5 degrees or so of
clearance, and when the bevel is on the back side of the blade the
clearance angle is determined by the angle of the bevel.

John Martin

Paul Kierstead

stoutman wrote:
What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Well now, assuming you mean a power jointer, it is basically a 'bevel
down' plane so the bevel angle doesn't affect the angle of cut, only the
clearance angle. I would fully expect anything between 25 and 35 degrees
to work just fine. A microbevel shouldn't matter, but might make it
easier to get a good edge.

OTOH, I am just theorizing, not having tried different angles on such a
machine.
stoutman

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
stoutman wrote:
What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Well now, assuming you mean a power jointer,

yep.

it is basically a 'bevel down' plane so the bevel angle doesn't affect the
angle of cut, only the clearance angle. I would fully expect anything
between 25 and 35 degrees to work just fine. A microbevel shouldn't
matter, but might make it easier to get a good edge.

OTOH, I am just theorizing, not having tried different angles on such a
machine.

Thanks !

I started sharpening my own knives and I wasn't sure how critical the angle
was.

Pig

Just this weekend I did my jointer and planer knives on the Makita
grinder; I just followed the existing bevel, did not use microbevel,
and they all worked just fine. This was the first time for the
jointer, and I noticed that factory grind on a DJ-20 had a micro bevel,
but I think that was more of a function of expediency, as the grind
above the micro bevel was really rough, and it would seem easier just
to redo the micro bevel, but I made an executive decision and kept the
original bevel. Mutt

stoutman wrote:
What is the optimum bevel angle for a jointer knife??

Do different angles work better for different types of woods??

Well now, assuming you mean a power jointer,

yep.

it is basically a 'bevel down' plane so the bevel angle doesn't affect the
angle of cut, only the clearance angle. I would fully expect anything
between 25 and 35 degrees to work just fine. A microbevel shouldn't
matter, but might make it easier to get a good edge.

OTOH, I am just theorizing, not having tried different angles on such a
machine.

Thanks !

I started sharpening my own knives and I wasn't sure how critical the angle
was.

if you're just starting, stick with the factory angle.